Pennine Vintage

by Kay Stephens | Women's Fiction |
Registered by Sterile of Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on 10/10/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2004
For generations the Bright family's cloth making business has prospered in the Pennine village of Heptonstall. However, Wiliam and Henry, next in line to take over, know that at a time when only the Luddites stand in the way of the new machinery, the future looks uncertain. But it is still a bitter shock when both brothers resolve to desert the business for the more exotic port and sherry trade, leaving their despairing father to struggle on against the odds. A Novel set in rural Lancashire/Yorkshire, just on up the road from where I live.

Reserved for Sarax at Leeds bookcrossers

Journal Entry 2 by sarax from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Early Christmas present from Sandy - thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by sarax from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 19, 2005
The local history parts I found interesting (Piece Hall, Stoodley Pike, Heptonstall Church, etc.) but the story was a bit dire.

Writing in a Yorkshire dialect got really annoying but then I got bored (& skipped big bits) when they went to Spain and Portugal.

I didn't have very high hopes when I saw the front cover (typical "Family Saga") but glad I've read it - there can't be that many novels set that close to home (thanks).

Journal Entry 4 by wendy1942 from Silsden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 11, 2005
Phantomcougar brought this home just as I finished my last book. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wendy1942 from Silsden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 1, 2005
Enjoyed this. Will find someone to pass it on to.