Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by goodthinkingmax of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 10/9/2004
Journal Entry 1 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, October 09, 2004
Winterson writes amazing books (See my gushing entry for Sexing the Cherry!). What a mind.

An excerpt from Winterson's introduction:

Oranges is an experimental novel:its interests are antilinear. It offers a complicated narrative structure disguised as a simple one, it employs a very large vocabulary and a beguilingly straight-forward syntax. This means that you can read in spirals. As a shape, the spiral is fluid and allows infinite movement....I really don't see the point in reading in straight lines. We don't think like that and we don't live like that. Our mental processes are closer to a maze than a motorway, every turning yields another turning, not symmetrical, not obvious. Not chaos either. A sophisticated mathematical equation made harder to unravel because X and Y have different values on different days.

Journal Entry 2 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, December 16, 2005
My Secret Santa recipient has this on her wishlist. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Happy Christmas.

Journal Entry 3 by cathyinoz from Fitzroy, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, December 27, 2005
Goodthinkingmax, how very spoiled I feel! Many, many thanks for sending this book for Xmas. It was recommended to me by a good friend last year and I've had a little read of the forward already. I'm going to insert it on TBR right under the bookring I'm working through at the moment. Hope you had a Merry Xmas, Cheers!

Journal Entry 4 by cathyinoz from Fitzroy, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 25, 2007
Well I've just read my first journal entry -- 2 years ago! Naughty Mt. TBR!=)

I've finally read this book as part of a reader's challenge I organized for the parents at our primary school. We were feeling jealous that the kid's had the Prem. Reading Challenge and we were missing the ARC so we're trying to each read 10 books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. This is my second of 10.

I loved this book which I understand is autobiographical. Winterson manages to keep her integrity when all around are hysterical. I too was raised in a fundamentalist family. Tho' my parents were not fanatical to the degree this person had to deal with. Still I could relate.
Thanks so much for sharing this story goodthinkingmax, I must keep my eye out for any re-screening of the BBC drama based on this book.
I'll offer this to the parents in the challenge before releasing wild.

Journal Entry 5 by cathyinoz from Fitzroy, Victoria Australia on Friday, September 07, 2007
Passed onto a friend and fellow bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 6 by joy46 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 08, 2008
Cleaning up to go away i found this book, cathyinoz had past on to me to read one year ago. Will read it on the plane to peru and then drop it over there.