Somebodies and Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank

by Robert W. Fuller | Nonfiction |
Registered by DIGDI on 11/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Received this free book via the bookcrossing website offer. Will read and then release!

Journal Entry 2 by DIGDI on Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, December 05, 2005
"Fail. Fail again. Fail better." Samuel Becket (1906-89)

"In making our way out of Nobodyland, mistakes and failures are road signs, not traffic tickets." (p.92)

"Rank is the proverbial rhinocerous in the living room, as sex was in the fifties. It's an embarrassing issue that everyone is aware of but avoids as long as possible...We still live every day with inequities deriving from a form of discrimination that everyone knows no one calls by name - discrimination based on rank."

I found this book really thought provoking. It's true that everyone has or will feel like a nobody at somepoint in their lives, and that the somebodies quite often misuse their power. I also liked the idea that it's okay and expected to switch between being a somebody and a nobody, based on the sphere of life you're in, or the particular context. I agree that rank is a useful tool in signifying excellence and expertise, but that it gets misused. To be honest though, I'm not sure whether 'rankism' and its abolition will really catch on. I fear there's too much for the somebodies to lose! My only criticism of this book would be the structure. I found that Fuller repeated himself constantly, and that tighter editing might well have improved the overall flow of the book.

Having said all that, a good read and worth passing on to other like-minded readers!

Breaking Ranks
Dignitarians

Journal Entry 4 by nice-cup-of-tea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, December 05, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (12/8/2005 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Will take "Somebodies and Nobodies" and see whether any other Zurich bookcrossers want an interesting read!

Journal Entry 5 by ScarletBea from Honley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 09, 2005
I'd registered myself for this book a couple of months back, when they gave away a new set of books, so I picked up this copy from nice-cup-of-tea.
Sounds quite interesting.

Journal Entry 6 by ScarletBea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, February 09, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/9/2006 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Taken to the BC Meeting, and then left at the BCZ, if there aren't any takers.

Journal Entry 7 by ScarletBea from Honley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 09, 2006
I just couldn't get into it...
The idea sounded ok at first, but then I don't believe much in it, it's just a big umbrella for all sorts of different problems that need to be tackled on their own.
Also seems a bit *too American* for my european experience...

Journal Entry 8 by phyllopteryx from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 18, 2006
Hab mal wieder n paar Bücher im Cafe Gloria freigelassen und dachte mir, dass ich gleich mal wieder ein neues Buch *fange* :) Dieses Buch wollte ich schon längst lesen und war doch recht enttäuscht, als ich den internationalen Versand für dieses Buch verpasst hatte. Freu mich nun drauf es zu lesen :)