Something Might Happen

by Julie Myerson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 10/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, October 08, 2004
I'm reading this for a book group, and found a cheap copy in Cancer Research - serendipity? Its full of local detail, set in the famous Southwold resort ('Chelsea-on-sea') on the lovely Suffolk coast, near where I live. This will become part of my growing East Anglian library...maybe i'll consider a bookring??

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 12, 2004
From the blurb:
"...in a small seaside town in Suffolk, a woman is brutally murdered...this is not a murder mystery, Myerson’s concern is with the effect of the murder on an ordinary community"

(**Includes slight spoiler**)
I loved this for the moody local atmosphere, the Suffolk sky, sea and landscapes, the sense of place; the affect that this has on the main protagonists & events is hypnotic. That’s the good news. Unfortunately, Myerson doesn’t really follow the rules of the form, i.e. the need to tie up loose ends, to try to explain where possible why things happen, to coin a phrase, to give the poor reader ‘closure’. I could be doing her a disservice, maybe the whole book is a challenge laid down to the reader?

What our book group found hard to understand (and to have any sympathy with) was how the murdered woman's best friend Tess acted; the affair, the selfishness, not really paying close enough attention to her immediate family and their needs. This all leads to a second, much worse, tragedy. It all left one feeling a bit uneasy.

Released 3 yrs ago (4/30/2016 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

A quick tidy-up of the mantle piece and shelf, lots of books to choose from :)

Welcome to bookcrossing!