@Going Postal

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Thorngage of Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on 10/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Thorngage from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, October 08, 2004
Arch-swindler Moist Van Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses -- until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into ... a government job?

By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Postmaster. Since his only other option is a nonliving one, Moist accepts the position -- and the hulking golem watchdog who comes along with it, just in case Moist was considering abandoning his responsibilities prematurely.

Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may be a near-impossible task, what with literally mountains of decades-old undelivered mail clogging every nook and cranny of the broken-down post office building; and with only a few creaky old postmen and one rather unstable, pin-obsessed youth available to deliver it. Worse still, Moist could swear the mail is talking to him. Worst of all, it means taking on the gargantuan, money-hungry Grand Trunk clacks communication monopoly and its bloodthirsty piratical head, Mr. Reacher Gilt.

But it says on the building neither rain nor snow nor glo m of ni t ... Inspiring words (admittedly, some of the bronze letters have been stolen), and for once in his wretched life Moist is going to fight. And if the bold and impossible are what's called for, he'll do it -- in order to move the mail, continue breathing, get the girl, and specially deliver that invaluable commodity that every human being (not to mention troll, dwarf, and, yes, even golem) requires: hope.
(From the publisher's website)

Journal Entry 2 by Thorngage from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, October 08, 2004
Aus Anlaß meines zweiten BC-Jahrestages wird dieses Buch als Buchring durch die deutschen Lande reisen.

Was ist ein Bookring? Wie funktioniert das?
Kein Problem, guckstu hier: Die allwissende Müllhalde kennt alle Antworten

8) Sudizoso
9) Schneefee
10) Zoe1971
11) Katti

Journal Entry 3 by wingLeseschafwing from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, October 18, 2004
The bookring arrived today, but must wait a little while. I hope to start next weekend.
Special thanks for the nice card inside ;-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingLeseschafwing from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, November 01, 2004
I think I like some other discworld novels more, but it's entertaining and funny. Pratchett always comes out with some great ideas.

4.11.2004: The book is on its way to Meraxes.

Journal Entry 5 by meraxes from Günzburg, Bayern Germany on Friday, November 12, 2004
Ist schon am Mittwoch (11.11.) bei mir angekommen. Plane das Buch übers Wochenende zu lesen und so bald wie möglich an Pterry-96-wm weiterzuschicken.

Nachtrag: Hat mir sehr gut gefallen. Sobald das Taschenbuch rauskommt lege ich mir das Buch selber zu.

Released on Monday, November 29, 2004 at about 7:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at BookRing in --Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben--, Bayern Germany.

Buch ist unterwegs in den hohen Norden.

Journal Entry 7 by pterry-96-wm from Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, December 02, 2004
Arrived today. I wonder, if I will understand every joke etc.
I'm currently reading another book, but I will hurry with it to start this Discworld Novel.
Hanna

Journal Entry 8 by pterry-96-wm from Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Tuesday, December 14, 2004
I agree with the Leseschaf, marxes and thorngage: I also liked the book very much. But since i didn't understood every joke/word etc. i will have to read the book one more time in German. It was the second discworld novel i read in english...

I have one more thing to mention: when i read what the press wrote about terry Prachett, i noticed that I totaly agree with one sentence in the "new york times review": "Terry Pratchett is difficult to review, because you want to offer up your favourite scenes." that is absolutely true! :-)
Hanna

Journal Entry 9 by pterry-96-wm from Hannover, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, December 15, 2004
The book is going by post to Lessien today. Unfortunatly not with a 1$stamp with the Tower of Arts...;-)

Journal Entry 10 by Lessien from München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, December 21, 2004
I got mail!
The book arrived yesterday and went straight to the top of Mt. TBR!

-------------------------

A nice read - as usual! - though to me not the best Discworld novel ever...

Journal Entry 11 by Lessien at on Thursday, February 17, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (2/16/2005 UTC) at

Sorry for the delay - had a whole lot of exams to pass recently - but finally the book is continuing its journey

Journal Entry 12 by ste1n1 from Feulen / Feelen, Kanton Diekirch Luxembourg on Monday, February 28, 2005
Hab das Buch am Samstag bei meinem Kollegen abgeholt und ganz oben auf mein Mount TBR gelegt :-)

Update : so, ich hab's durch! Liest sich gut und fliessend und hat ein Minimum an Spannung.
Allerdings bin ich leicht entäuscht, es ist mein erstes Terry Pratchett und ich hab mir erlich ein bisschen mehr erwartet. Die Geschichte ist von der Idee her ok, auch wenn er als grosses Highlight die Briefmarke erfindet *sic*. Die grosse Pointe find ich leider auch ziemlich lasch ...
Aber ein gutes hat's, Spass gemacht hat's trotzdem und ich bin gespannt auf das nächste was ich von ihm in die Finger kriege :-)

update: wurde am Do. 14.04 an elhamisabel weiterverschickt!

Journal Entry 13 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
I got the book yesterday.

Thanks very much for organising and sending it.

Journal Entry 14 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, April 27, 2005
First of all: I'm really sorry it took me so long to finish it! I am rather busy at the moment.

Anyway, I *loved* this Discworld novel! I've had very good and average discworld novels yet, but none of them made me think of buying my own copy. This one did and does...

I love the speed this book has. Whereas other discworld novels were rather slow at the beginning, this one had full speed from the very start. I liked Moist very much and Lord Vetinari just made it into my favourite Discworld characters.

I'm very glad I could read this. Thanks very much, Thorngage!

I will send it on to wweige tomorrow.

Journal Entry 15 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, April 29, 2005
I send it to wweige yesterday.

Journal Entry 16 by wweige from Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, June 06, 2005
right, it's an book in Englisch, so the comment should be Englisch too, didn't notice, it was in Englisch. :)
Well, it was fun reading 'going postal' I like these stories. The next reader is at hand, I only need his or hers adress.

Journal Entry 17 by wweige from Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, June 10, 2005
Some Addition is needet: I have a big problem with Terry Pratchett. His books are an expensive hobby. I think I will have to buy the book myself, as I can not wait to read it again.

Journal Entry 18 by Sudizoso from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Saturday, July 30, 2005
Oh, I had totaly forgotten to make a journal entry. Sorry!

I finished this book within three days and I loved!!!
I think, that Lord Vettinari is now my favorote discworld character.

"... thw Watch's git loads of dwarfs and trolls and a golem - a free golem. savon' your presence, Mr. Pump - and a couple of gnomes and a zombie... eben a Nobbs."
"Nobbs? What's a Nobbs?"
"Corporal Nobby Nobbs, sor. Not met him yet? They say he's got an official chitty saying he's human, and who needs ohne of those, eh? Fortunately there's only one of him, so he can't breed..."

Journal Entry 19 by Schneefee from Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, August 22, 2005
hab's Freitag aus der Post geholt und über's Wochenende halb durch gelesen *genieß* nächstes Wochenede geht's (leider erst) weiter.

hihi, das Buch war wirklich toll!
Zoe1971 nimmt sich seiner jetzt auch gern an

Journal Entry 20 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Book arrived savely today, so I could go and collect it from my local post office... ;-))

I'm looking forward to reading it, but I think it'll have to be patient with me, because right now there are still six (!) other novels on my Mt. TBR first, which are also travelling as bookrings or -rays.

Journal Entry 21 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, February 26, 2006
I really enjoyed this book! It's a Discworld-novel but yet not a classical one: there are only a few stories being told parallely. But still you'll meet Ridcully and Ponder Stibbons as well as Captain Carrot and other members of the watch, and you get to know Lord Vetinary more closely. And that's worth it!

A piece that really made me laugh out loud was everything about The Smoking Gnu (you know the meaning of "the smoking gun"?).

And, as in almost every Discworld novel you'll find a beautiful description of the Unseen University's library worth being quoted:
"People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as 'Is this the laundry?', 'How do you spell surreptitious?' and, on a regular basis, 'Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it urned out they were twins.'" (p. 175 f.)

And, at last, if you've always been interested in the origins of philately, you'll find the answer in this book!

It will continue it's travel to Katti, as soon as I get her address!

Edit (27/02/06): Katti told me she's not interested in reading the book anymore...

Journal Entry 22 by Zoe1971 from Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, March 13, 2006
Since Thorngage doesn't react to my PMs and I don't have his/her adress in order to forward the book to it's owner, I asked in the German forum if anybody else wants to read it.

The bookring continues:

1. Zartbitter
2. pubaer
3. cat-i
and back to Thorngage

Released 13 yrs ago (4/1/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

To Zartbitter in Munich via snail-mail...

Journal Entry 24 by Zartbitter from Mohrkirch, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Thursday, April 06, 2006
Got it today. Thanks for sending! This will be my next reading.

Journal Entry 25 by Zartbitter from Mohrkirch, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Thursday, April 13, 2006
"Always keep moving. There may be something behind you."

You meet the wizards, you meet the watch, you meet golems - but nevertheless it's a story with hardly any magic. But I enjoyed it very much. Lord Vetinari and Moist are a very good - uh - team. Moist makes the people believe in what he wants and Lord Vetinari does nearly the same... *grin*

"There was no safety. There was no pride. All there was was money. Everything became money and money became everything. Money treated us as if we were things"

Journal Entry 26 by pubaer from Berlin (irgendwo/somewhere), Berlin Germany on Monday, April 24, 2006
Got the book today. Thanks to Zartbitter for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 27 by Thorngage from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Friday, March 21, 2008
Eine kurze Ineventur ergab, dass das Buch wieder bei mir ist.
Vielen Dank an alle, die einen Eintrag hinterlassen haben!