The Dante Club: A Novel

by Matthew Pearl | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by reddragonlady of Clarksville, Tennessee USA on 10/6/2004
Journal Entry 1 by reddragonlady from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2004
Slow going for the first 100 pages or so, while the author is setting up the dynamics of the people in the Dante Club, but after that, a real page turner. Kept me guessing. Basically, the Dante Club is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Lowell and J.T. Fields, and they are working on producing an American translation of Dante's Divine Comedy in 1865. Suddenly, they realize that someone in Boston is a serial murderer, and they are basing the murders on Dante's Inferno.

Journal Entry 2 by reddragonlady at Another Bookcrosser in Watertown, New York USA on Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (10/12/2004 UTC) at Another Bookcrosser in Watertown, New York USA

Released at tonights meetup. Had a great time!

Journal Entry 3 by elizz273 from Salem, Virginia USA on Tuesday, November 09, 2004
slacker me, i received this at the last BXer meetup, but hadn't journaled it. i thought i should at least acknowledge that i'd gotten it before i went to the next one, eh?? i've read about 70 pages so far, between being lazy and doing nothing. so far so good!!

Journal Entry 4 by elizz273 from Salem, Virginia USA on Monday, November 22, 2004
This book picked up almost exactly around the hundredth page. I had put it down for more than a week, but after that point it really got interesting. A good mystery, i was surprised by the culprit but never felt like i was clueless. it's even made me think about getting a copy of Dante's Inferno to read again (had to once in high school).

Journal Entry 5 by encoda from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 09, 2004
Gobsmacked! This is the first book I've gotten on bookcrossing! :) Time to celebrate and sit down for a good read.

Just got it in the mail from elizz (thanks!) and can't wait to start reading it!