It's a Long Way from Penny Apples

by Bill Cullen | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by PenguinSilja of Rogers, Arkansas USA on 10/4/2004
Journal Entry 1 by PenguinSilja from Rogers, Arkansas USA on Monday, October 04, 2004
Got this as part of a batch from a charity shop, will read and then release.

Journal Entry 2 by PenguinSilja from Rogers, Arkansas USA on Monday, October 25, 2004
An enjoyable book, though a bit self-grandising. Also unsure about some of the historical details- for example, I have heard that the bombs where dropped in Dublin locations because of the synagogue on the southside and the Jewish community and cemetary on the Northside, not the reason given in the book.

Reserved for BCer SirRoy

Journal Entry 3 by SirRoy from Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Picked up at Dublin (and surrounding Counties) monthly meetup. Thank you PenguinSilja.

Journal Entry 4 by SirRoy from Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland on Tuesday, July 04, 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I was afraid it was going to me all about the winderful Bill Cullen, I did this, I'm great, I'm wonderful - and whilst it is about him, he tells the story in the third person, and calls himself Liam and it's easy to forget who is telling the story.

The book itself is a wonderful live account of Dublin history from effectively the start of the 1900s right through to the 1980s. It covers the emergency, the rising, the second world war, the fifties and sixties, birth of Ballyfermot, inner City regeneration, the oul wans in Moore Street, Alfie Byrne, Charlie Haughey, Des Peelo - it's all in there. Anyone with an interest in Dublin City will love it.

Journal Entry 5 by SirRoy at N/A in N/A, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (7/4/2006 UTC) at N/A in N/A, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Released to Gizmopuddy who promised to read it quickly as MartiP is waiting on it.

Journal Entry 6 by Gizmopuddy from Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on Tuesday, July 04, 2006
Didn't read this when it came out because there was so much hype about it, but looking forward to reading it now and passing it onto MartiP as part of her ongoing education of all things Irish!

Journal Entry 7 by Gizmopuddy from Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
I am torn between loving the story and trying to control my growing loathing for the man telling it. So much of the story is familiar to me. My grandmother actually attended the trial of the nurse mentioned in the book. I remember seeing Bang Bang around town when I was a small child. The cry of the stallholders at Christmastime on Henry Street and Moore Street is a childhood memory that will always stay with me. My loathing stems from the "great I am" that Bill Cullen portrays himself as. I am glad it was written in the third person, as I couldn't have stomached it in the first person. He has managed to include every single scandal that ever occurred in Ireland from the time his grandmother was born to the present day, and it seems that he or a member of his family have cured all ills therein. If the saying self-praise is no praise, well this man is deserving of no praise at all.

But aside from Bill Cullen, a wonderfully recounted tale of Dublin life.

Journal Entry 8 by Gizmopuddy at N/A in N/A, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (9/7/2006 UTC) at N/A in N/A, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Apologies Marti for taking so long to mail this to you. Hope you enjoy. It's a wonderful insight into Dublin life.

Journal Entry 9 by MartiP on Saturday, October 07, 2006
Received in the mail from Gizmopuddy - thanks, Liz! I'm plopping it on the TBR mountain until I have time to devote to it. :-)