The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Vintage Contemporaries)

by Mark Haddon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by your-book-fairy of South Orange, New Jersey USA on 9/27/2004
Journal Entry 1 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 27, 2004
I had this on my wishlist for a while and thought I'd wait for the holidays to make a christmas request of it, but after some margaritas at Senor Swanky's and an afternoon browsing at Strand, I broke down and bought it myself.

Journal Entry 2 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Sunday, June 12, 2005
From the publisher:
"Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, Christopher is autistic. Everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning for him. Routine, order and predictability shelter him from the messy, wider world. Then, at fifteen, Christopher’s carefully constructed world falls apart when he finds his neighbor’s dog, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork, and he is initially blamed for the killing.
Christopher decides that he will track down the real killer and turns to his favorite fictional character, the impeccably logical Sherlock Holmes, for inspiration. But the investigation leads him down some unexpected paths and ultimately brings him face to face with the dissolution of his parents’ marriage. As he tries to deal with the crisis within his own family, we are drawn into the workings of Christopher’s mind.
And herein lies the key to the brilliance of Mark Haddon’s choice of narrator: The most wrenching of emotional moments are chronicled by a boy who cannot fathom emotion. The effect is dazzling, making for a novel that is deeply funny, poignant, and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing is a mind that perceives the world literally.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is one of the freshest debuts in years: a comedy, a heartbreaker, a mystery story, a novel of exceptional literary merit that is great fun to read."

This is a really unique little novel because the protagonist (and narrator) is, thanks to his autism, really pretty peculiar. A quick read, I really didn't know what to expect but really enjoyed the book, it's very creatively written.

Journal Entry 3 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Saturday, June 18, 2005
Mailing out to gnissorckoob as part of a book relay. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, June 27, 2005
Just got it, courtesy of the book-fairy!

This is going to the top of my "to be read" stack. I heard Haddon interviewed on the Diane Rehm Show and was intrigued; later I read a few chapters while lounging at Barnes & Noble. Put it on my Wish List and then, after what seemed like a very long wait, finally was able to pounce on it at BookRelay.com

Next reader already lined up: Sidney1220 in Virginia

Journal Entry 5 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, July 17, 2005
The book has traveled to Costa Rica as I read it there on my vacation. I would describe it as a different kind of coming-of-age novel. I agree that the autistic perspective was what made it so interesting. It began to seem normal that Christopher would scream in public or grip the knife in his pocket.

Mailed to Sidney on 7/19/05 as part of the "Canine Capers" relay at BookRelay.com

Journal Entry 6 by Sidney1220 from McLean, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 24, 2005
Received in the mail today. Thanks...

8/11/05

I did not like this book. The autistic perspective was interesting for about 5 chapters, then it started to grate. I can't even begin to imagine how someone with an autistic child must feel, as I became frustrated and felt like shouting at Christopher just from reading this book...

Promised to KarinAlyssa.

Journal Entry 7 by Sidney1220 from McLean, Virginia USA on Thursday, August 18, 2005
Mailed at the post office.

Journal Entry 8 by KarinAlyssa on Monday, August 22, 2005
Received today from Sidney. It's going to my TBR.

Journal Entry 9 by KarinAlyssa on Monday, October 03, 2005
This was a really weird book. I love books where the narrator is a child, but I don't think that an autistic child makes a good narrator because it gets repetitive very quickly and it's not even charming. At the beginning, I understand all the disgressions made so he could explain why he didn't feel anything, but after a while, it got on my nerves. I know I am not the most patient person in the world, but still, it was tiresome. As for the story, it was as ordinary as it gets, but Mark Haddon has a way with words. The writing was fluid and made this book a quick read although the narrator was a very complex character. Overall, it was an OK book, but it's not one I'd be likely to re-read.

Thanks Sidney1220 for sharing it through BookRelay.

Journal Entry 10 by KarinAlyssa at by Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 17, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (10/17/2005 UTC) at by Mail in BookRelay.Com, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

Sending to EvaLowrain. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 11 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, October 24, 2005
Arrived in great condition - love the labels! I'll be reading it probably sometime next month.

Journal Entry 12 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, March 21, 2006
I loved this book! It's very sweet. I enjoyed reading it and found it very touching.

I never intended to keep it for so long and am glad I finally went ahead and read it! Thanks to everyone who shared it.

Offered to CurtAngel on June 24, 2006. Saving one week.

Journal Entry 13 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Passed on to a friend to read. Friend knows about BC, and I'll make sure it's freed after she finishes it.