corner corner Vernon God Little

Vernon God Little
by DBC Pierre | Literature & Fiction
Registered by greedyreader of Oakland, New Jersey USA on 9/27/2004

status (set by Moem): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by greedyreader from Oakland, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 27, 2004

I waited for this at the library when I read it a year ago. It is a marvelous & comic story about a boy in Texas.

I would give my review ... but I won't right now. I saw this book, used & cheap, at Barnes & Noble in Paramus, NJ (USA). The book is UK edition, obviously bought in India. And now, on its way to Greece. Funny about the lives of books.

Enjoy it apapsa!!!

Journal Entry 2 by apapsa from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, October 05, 2004

This is a book from my wishlist, sent to me by greedyreader :) I'm so eager to read it! (I loved the postcard!!!)

Journal Entry 3 by evablue from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Sunday, March 29, 2009

Got it today from apapsa's BookXerpting game. Boy was I surprised!
I don't know much about the book other than the controversy it generated when it got the Booker. However, when I managed to peep through apapsa's surprise packaging I saw the following in the jacket's description that convinced me my instincts were right: "riotous adventures", "irreverent and bizarre", "disfunctional profanity", "ridiculously funny". Sounds like my cup of tea! I'm glad I picked this, I think I'm going to enjoy it.
Many thanks apapsa and anemos for bringing it to the meet-up and to greedyreader for sending it to Greece.

Journal Entry 4 by evablue from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Vernon is sixteen and everything embarrasses him. His fat mom, the fact that they're poor, the small town they live in, his whole life. So when his childhood friend massacres the whole class but him and Vernon is suspected as an an accessory and his alibi is totally embarrassing it is obvious he cannot reveal it.

The book started very well, has quite a few funny moments and an insightful point of view on the image the american lifestyle is projecting. However it got a little tiring halfway through and I think I'd have enjoyed it better if it were shorter. Also, the massacre scene was a bit of a let down for me.
I liked the main idea though and it was an enjoyable, easy read.

For the book buffet at the BookCrossing Anniversary Convention - Athens 2016 www.athensbc2016.com/

Journal Entry 5 by wingMoemwing at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I took this book from the Convention in Athens to read on the way back, but found out that I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I gave it a good try but could not get into it. I'll release it for someone else now.

Journal Entry 6 by wingMoemwing at OBCZ Hack42 in Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (1/30/2018 UTC) at OBCZ Hack42 in Arnhem, Gelderland Netherlands

In de boekenkast die boven in de gang staat.
Veel plezier ermee, lezer! Goede reis, boek!