The Passion

by Jeanette Winterson | Other |
Registered by Sydneycat of Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on 8/16/2002
Journal Entry 1 by Sydneycat from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Friday, August 16, 2002
While I struggled to get into this book, once into it, I had to finish it even though I found it quite unusual. Written as an historical novel set during the Napoleonic Wars, the two main characters are realistic and fantastical at the same time. Reviews constantly talk about it as a modern fairy tale - I guess that depends on what people remember of their fairy tales. Certainly had some of the elements of a fairy tale (not the Disney versions!!)

Journal Entry 2 by Sydneycat at Video Difference, Quinpool Road in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Friday, August 16, 2002
Released on Friday, August 16, 2002 at Video Difference, Quinpool Road in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.

Left this book upstairs on the top shelf of the Documentary section - with a yellow sticky on its cover.

Journal Entry 3 by audra from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday, August 17, 2002
I just found it! It's the first one I've "caught". I'll start reading it tomorrow. The staff at Video Difference were very confused about it. One of the women said "Um, we have movies, not books", when I asked if anyone had seen it.

Thanks muchly!

audra@marigoldzine.com

Journal Entry 4 by Sydneycat at Video Difference, Quinpool Road in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Sunday, August 18, 2002

Journal Entry 5 by audra from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Monday, August 19, 2002
I found this book! I'm not sure why it says it's "currently in the wild"? Did I do something wrong?

audra

Journal Entry 6 by audra from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Wednesday, August 21, 2002
I read it finally, in one sitting yesterday. I had tried to read "Sexing the Cherry" earlier this year, but found it a bit too surreal, a style that I hate. This seemed more ... um ... Magic Realism (paging Tana!) or something.

There are four parts to the book, and I found the first one quite slow and perhaps unneccesary. As soon as I got to Vilanelle's story, however, I was hooked.

I like how Winterson states her own philosophy as fact in the books, like: "To love somene else enough to forget abour yourself even for one moment is to be free." That's not the best example, but I forgot to mark the spots that I meant to. :)

The ending is a brilliant tragedy, one that deepens the more you understand it, as Henri explains his motivations (I'm not giving anything away, I promise.)

I love the patterns, as well. The word patterns. Many times in the book appears the phrase: "I'm telling you stories. Trust me."

A hero in love with love, and heroine with webbed feet. Maybe I now understand why Jeanette Winterson is such a raving egomaniac.

Thanks, sydneycat. I'll pass this along soon.

audra estrones williams

Journal Entry 7 by audra at Nova Scotia Community College Bell Campus in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Tuesday, September 03, 2002
Released on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 at Nova Scotia Community College Bell Campus in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.

Room 319 (Public Relations Room). On the shelves, somewhere!