The Glass Lake

by Maeve Binchy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tabby-cat-owner of Bellingham, Washington USA on 9/26/2004
Journal Entry 1 by tabby-cat-owner from Bellingham, Washington USA on Sunday, September 26, 2004
Another unforgettable and fascinating novel by Maeve Binchy about life in a small Irish town during the changing times of the 1950's and 1960's. Some characters have a hard time fitting in and feeling content with their life in the small town.

Journal Entry 2 by tabby-cat-owner from Bellingham, Washington USA on Thursday, May 19, 2005
putting this into awakeagain's doubles bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Rec'd in my Doubles Bookbox

Journal Entry 4 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Monday, December 26, 2005
Kit's mother has always been different than others mothers in their small town but in a way no one could clearly explain. But that does mean when she mysteriously disappears one night, there are many that are afraid she has committed suicide. When Kit sees a note addressed to her father in her mother's handwriting, she destroys it, afraid to confirm that her mother did intend suicide and would not be buried in sacred ground. Thus is set the scene for a lifetime of lies.

For Kit's mother is not dead; she has run away with the man she was in love with before she met and married Kit's father, the man who came back to her swearing his love forever, a love that seems enough to give up everything she now has for.

Ultimately she is unable to resist contacting her daughter in the guise of an old friend and Kit and the woman she believes to be her mother's friend, Lena Gray, begin writing letters to each other.

Kit goes to London to visit and realizes this is her mother. Keeping that secret and living a double life is the rest of the story.

Maeve Binchy's characters become an entire world and while reading, they seem like people you know.

Journal Entry 5 by awakeagain from Port Murray, New Jersey USA on Saturday, January 07, 2006
Placed in awakeagain's A to Z bookbox to be mailed 1/13/06

Journal Entry 6 by winginnaewing from Aurora, Colorado USA on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Taken out of awakeagain's A-Z bookbox, to be added to my ever expanding TBR pile (and the goal this year was to dwindle it...sigh)

Journal Entry 7 by winginnaewing from Aurora, Colorado USA on Monday, November 03, 2008
I am culling the mountain, and this one can go.

Journal Entry 8 by winginnaewing at King Soopers - Hampden/Tower in Aurora, Colorado USA on Sunday, March 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/5/2009 UTC) at King Soopers - Hampden/Tower in Aurora, Colorado USA

Congratulations!! You have found a rare and unique gift, a travelling book!!

While it is possible I have read and given my thoughts on this book, it is more likely it is a book I found/purchased specifically to send out into the world! In either case, please read what has been said before, where has this book been, who enjoyed it, who didn't -- and perhaps, if you care to, you can add your two cents!

You do not have to join bookcrossing to pick up, enjoy, and journal a book -- however, if you do decide to join us, please consider using me (innae) as your recommending friend, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me a personal message (for more info, check out the FAQ).

And again, thank you for saving this book from a life of boredom!

**************************************************************************
Released as a part of Firegirl's
4 Elements Challenge
- MARCH 2009

Left this "water" book on top of the water outside the doors