Rocky Mountain Moving Picture Association, The

by Loren D. Estleman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jennannej of Coronado, California USA on 9/25/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Saturday, September 25, 2004
Picked this up in a charity shop in Nebraska.

From the back:
"Lights...Camera...Danger!
Los Angeles, 1913: Director Buck Bensinger is desperately trying to hold together the fledgling Rocky Mountain Moving Picture Association when aspiring writer Dmitri Pulski walks out of the Sierra Nevadas and onto the set. ... Enemies are everywhere, from the sheriff looking to collect on old debts to the new threat in town: Thomas Edison, whose monopolistic Eastern Trust threatens to shut the Association down once and for all..."

I have almost finished this book. It's not a bad read. If it can be believed at all, it shows how thrown together some films were back in the EARLY days of movie making.

Journal Entry 2 by jennannej at Media Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 05, 2004
Released on Friday, November 05, 2004 at about 12:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Media Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay Controlled Releases.

Packaged up and ready to drop at the post office tomorrow. Off into the world to VH-50 as part of bookrelay.

Journal Entry 3 by VH-50 from Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, December 15, 2004
I received this book through a Book Relay, and found the details of early (pre-WWI) moviemaking fascinating. The early scenes dealing with the ice industry, though unexpected, were intriguing as well. Estleman's ability to convey a sense of place is just as powerful here as it is in his Detroit novels, and his ability to sketch convincing characters comes through as well. Adele Varga, in particular, is fascinating . . . I find myself wishing that Estleman had made it *her* story.

For all that, though, the story never really grabbed me *as a story.* There are two plotlines competing for the reader's attention (Dmitri Pulski's coming-of-age and Buck Bensinger's battle with the Eastern Trust and its agents in California) but the continual shifting back and forth between them leaves both feeling undernourished and flat. Dmitri remains the least engaging character in the book, and he seems to drift through the story without ever learning anything about himself or being changed much by his experiences. Bensinger is far more vivid, but the Trust is too shadowy (and poorly explained) to feel like much of a threat, and the Bad Guys who do its dirty work in California are too numerous for any one of them to emerge as a full-fledged antagonist for Bensinger and Dmitri.

I don't want to be too hard on the book, though: It's one of the most original historical novels I've read in a long time, and (as a lifelong movie buff) I'm glad I read it.

Journal Entry 4 by VH-50 from Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Offered on BookRelay.com as part of the "Proper Places" relay.

Journal Entry 5 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Book has arrived. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, February 21, 2008
A really fun look at the chaos that was early filmmaking at a time when the industry was moving west to Hollywood. Yes, things really were this thrown together. :)

Journal Entry 7 by caligula03 at Meet-up Meeting, Starbucks in Dublin, California USA on Thursday, February 21, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (3/11/2008 UTC) at Meet-up Meeting, Starbucks in Dublin, California USA

Taking to the next meeting.

Journal Entry 8 by Kenj from Walnut Grove, California USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Received at monthly meet-up 3/08

Journal Entry 9 by Kenj at Walnut Grove, California USA on Tuesday, October 01, 2019
Enjoyed the tale of the early days of movie studios in Hollywood. Will bring to next meet-up 10/19.