Strait is the Gate

by Andre Gide | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 9/23/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, September 23, 2004
I love these little Penguin Modern Classics. You'd tell me if I was getting pretentious, wouldn't you?

(29/10) Finished on holiday in Gers, between Toulouse and the Pyrenees. Review to follow

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 12, 2004
From the blurb "a story of young love blighted and turned to tragedy by the sense of religious dedication in the beloved...regarded by many as the most perfect piece of writing which Gide ever achieved...it set a standard for the short novel which has not yet been excelled"

A slight, interesting book, built around a single theme, an obsessive aesthetic young man (Jerome) is driven by a religious fervour and a misplaced sense of righteousness to dedicate his life to the pursuit of his older cousin, Alissa. His logic, taken from the Bible "Strive to enter in at the strait gate" is that anything that’s tough to do is worthwhile, so the tougher it is, the better – in the eyes of God - with or without hope or expectation of eventual success. I paraphrase of course. Oh, and the converse also applies, "for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction." I think I take the easiest path most days ;)

Now, this isn’t an ordinary love story; Alissa positively discourages the interest to the point of making herself unattainable, which in the end ruins her life as well as his. This reminds me a bit of another book by a Frenchman, The Outsider, by Albert Camus. In both cases the lead isn’t very likeable, and acts out his life as if it is somehow expendable, by some obscene form of denial of personal responsibility; either driven to exist by fate (Meursault) or destiny (Jerome)

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at on Saturday, November 27, 2004
Released on Saturday, November 27, 2004 at about 6:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Caffe Nero in Ipswich, England United Kingdom.

Picked up at our first Ipswich meet-up, and a fine occasion it was too :)