The Five People You Meet in Heaven

by Mitch Albom | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Cairbre of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 9/23/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Cairbre from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, September 23, 2004
It's very much hyped book but I didn't find it so good. It was little too clean and pretty. I didn't felt for main character and his five people were not so much connected. I felt that I did not gained anything from this book.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 05, 2004
I got the book at the Helsinki meet-up. I have been looking for this for some time. Thank you Cairbre!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnneliswing from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, October 19, 2004
This is so American in a way... in places. It has been talked about so much that I thought it would be better. In a way rather nice but something was lacking. Good thing though it did not take too long time to read through.
(I think Lovely Bones did give the idea to Mitch Albom to write this.)
I don't care too much about heaven - the sky is good enough for me!

Journal Entry 4 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 09, 2004
From the back cover:
"All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."

On his eighty-third birthday, Eddie, a lonely war veteran, dies in a tragic accident trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. With his final breath, he feels two small hands in his - and then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path for ever.

Albom Online

Journal Entry 5 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, November 21, 2004
This book is now part of a bookray!

A bookray is when a book is sent from one person to another through a list of members who have signed up for it. The last person on the list can do whatever he/she wants with it.

Here are the guidelines for this bookray: (Thanks Eucalia!)

1. When the person before you on the list is done reading the book they will send you a personal message (PM) asking you for your address. If you feel that you are too busy at that time to read the book within a reasonable time period (about 1 month), ask that person to skip you and go to the next person on the list. If this happens, PM me to let me know what’s going on and, if you want, I may be able to move you down the list so you can try again later.

2. When you receive the book, make a journal entry letting everyone know where the book is. Keep in mind that there are other people waiting to read the book after you, so try not to take too long to read it. A general rule of thumb is to have the book in your possession for no longer than one month. If you know you won’t be able to get to the book within a month, pass it on to the next person on the list, PM me letting me know, and I can move you down the list so you can try again later if you’d like. If you’re reading the book and it’s taking you longer than expected to finish, make a journal entry letting everyone know! Remember, there’s no such thing as too many journal entries.

3. When you’re done (or almost done) reading the book, send a PM to the next person on the list asking for their address. Even if you think you already know that person’s address, it’s a good idea to double-check to make sure their address hasn’t changed—and also make sure the list order hasn’t changed since you checked it last. If the next person on the list doesn’t respond to your PM within several days, try again. If you still get no response within one week, PM me to let me know what’s going on and then skip this person and try the next person on the list.

4. After you’ve finished the book, journal a quick review of it for us letting us know what you thought of it!

5. Send the book to the next person on the list and post a journal entry letting everyone know it’s on its way. Sit back, relax, and watch the journals as the book completes its journey!

Journal Entry 6 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, November 21, 2004
This bookray is completed, and the book has been released into the wild. Happy traveling little book!

1. kaisa64 (Helsinki, Finland)
2. YuCCa3 (Savonlinna, Finland)
3. Margih (Tampere, Finland)
4. em64 (Tampere, Finland)
5. mirz (Tampere, Finland)
6. chrisim (Tampere, Finland) (int'l)
7. Heaven150 (Alberta, Canada) (int'l)
8. tndolphinsfan (Tennessee, USA) (int'l)
9. titihood (Canada)
10. stellertony (Alaska, USA) (US preferred)
11. urspider (North Carolina, USA) (int'l)
12. mance (Wales, United Kingdom) (int'l)
13. Sunneschii (Zürich, Switzerland) (within Europe)
14. concertina8 (Vienna, Austria) (int'l)

Journal Entry 7 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, November 29, 2004
The Five People You Meet in Heaven was okay, but not great. It was an easy read, and kept me interested from the beginning to the end, but despite being touching and making me cry at the end, it still felt too calculated. I didn't like it how almost all important things in Eddie's life happened on his birthday. Also I had trouble imagining how the heaven experience would translate to other people's lives. Still, I liked the second and the third person Eddie met in heaven, I thought their stories were the most interesting. I got the feeling that the lesson the author tried to teach with this book is that "shit happens, accept it and move on, it could have been worse." In my opinion, the only good insight the book had was on page 190. The Five People You Meet in Heaven is great reading while traveling, it's easy to get into. I read most of the book on my trip to Estonia last weekend.

The book will be off to kaisa64 next.

Journal Entry 8 by kaisa64 from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 30, 2004
I got it today, CandyDarling sent it to me. Thank you very much. I'll start reading today.

Journal Entry 9 by kaisa64 from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, December 05, 2004
I really liked this book. It was sort of "american style" book, but I guess I liked the author's idea of what after life is about. Some of it took place in an amusement park and I myself have worked in one and spent a lot of time in Disneyland, so the atmosphere reminded me of all the good times. I liked the style the book was written and it definitely was an easy book to read.

I'm ready to send it forward to YuCCa3.

Journal Entry 10 by YuCCa3 from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, December 08, 2004
I got this book today, Thank you Cairbre and kaisa64! I've started reading it, and I consider it very interesting... only 30 minutes left before... ;)

Journal Entry 11 by YuCCa3 from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, December 19, 2004
I don't have much to say about this book but still, I liked it a lot! I think it was a very beautiful book though I don't consider Heaven like that. However the illusion of everybody's own kind of Heaven sounds very wonderful.

I wouldn't use the word "thought-provoking" when describing this book but it was emotional for me, especially the two last persons' lessions for Eddie were the most interesting for me.

Despite of I read this book in very short periods in the beginning, I finished this book quite hastely after all! I don't regret at all, that I participated this bookring, I've really enjoyed this book!

One more thing! Thanks for CandyDarling who decided to start this bookring :) I'm going to send this book to Margih tomorrow, it's her Christmas gift from me ;)

Journal Entry 12 by Margih from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, December 21, 2004
Thanks YuCCa3, the book has arrived :)
I´m moving and having one and a half books (rings) ahead this one to finish, so it can take a while before I´m able to start to read this. But I´ll do my best and try to pass this book on again by the end of Jan.

Journal Entry 13 by Margih from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, January 24, 2005
Afterlife is an interesting issue and this book gave one aspect. The story was good and beautiful and easy to read, but there was something I was missing.. The author is new for me, but I´ll like to read his other books, too.

This book will go next to em64. I´ll give it to her on Wednesday when we´ll meet.

Journal Entry 14 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Got this book from margih today, have two bookrings before this one but will try to read them soon...

Journal Entry 15 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, February 01, 2005
The book was ok, an easy read and gave also something to think about. There is something comforting in the idea that you could sort your life out after death and find out what made you what you are. But somehow I would like to live my life so that I would have found out it while still on this earth and not having to regret afterwards. Just a thought...

mirz will get the book next, perhaps in the meetup next week?

Journal Entry 16 by mirz from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, February 06, 2005
Had a date and received this book at Coffee House, Tampere.

Going to read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 17 by mirz from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, February 07, 2005
After I had finished Jostein Gaarder's Maya last night, I thought that I take a quick look into this book before sleeping. My quick look extended and I read the whole book at one sitting. That must tell something about the book.

I did think a lot while reading. I don't believe that we'll meet anyone in Heaven, because I don't believe in Heaven, but there is no question about our influence on other peoples lives and deaths. I did even consider if there could be already something that I could have done and it had maybe even killed someone in the end. Hard thinking, don't you think? Perhaps there even is something already, but one has to remember that perhaps my actions even create life.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. One out of three Newton's laws of motion.

So, I liked it a lot. I'm happy I read this. I'll watch my steps.

Journal Entry 18 by chrisim from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, February 10, 2005
Got the book from mirz at the meetup. At the moment I don't have any other book rings going on so I'd say I could read this within a descent time.

Journal Entry 19 by chrisim from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, March 08, 2005
I liked a lot of this charming little book. Reasons are many: The historical events were lively told and persons too. Also the main character was described with warmth. The whole story was touching and offerred one more explanation for afterlife. I did not take the story so seriously, so it did not confuse my thoughts. I'm not saying that it did not give any thoughts. Each of the five lessons are important yet we're living and I'd say that we better learn them while those persons still are among us.

Thanks for CandyDarling for organizing this bookray and thanks for all for not spoiling :-) (The fifth person did surprise me.)

I have already contacted the next reader Heaven150 so the book continues its journey.

Journal Entry 20 by Heaven150 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Received from chrisim yesterday. Will get started right away.

Journal Entry 21 by Heaven150 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 09, 2005
I enjoyed this little book. It's a quick read and the author's concept of Heaven is interesting. I think it would be neat to meet people who's lives you've changed without knowing it. The book didn't make me cry (although I thought it would). The last two people were the most interesting to me and the last one surprised me completely.

I mailed the book today to tndolphinsfan. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 22 by tndolphinsfan from Memphis, Tennessee USA on Monday, April 25, 2005
Received it last week as part of a bookring. I'm waiting to savor it on a cruise next week! Will send out immediately upon my return.

Journal Entry 23 by titihood on Friday, October 14, 2005
It has been raining here for 3 days...miserable :( I went out this afternoon to take my mind of Morpheus' operation and when I came back there were two parcels awaiting me - this was one of them.
Am really looking forward to reading this - got 2 other rings to finish first though.

13 Nov 2005: In the end I decided to read it in tandem with another ring book and liked it so much I finished it in one day. This is such a powerful yet simple little book, it made me think and cry (books rarely make me do the latter) and I took a few notes of things it said. It contains many beautiful passages and I'm in fact thinking of buying it for my Mum for Christmas.
Thanks so much for sharing such a lovely book, going to sent to stellartony when I get his address.

Sent in the post to stellertony :)

Journal Entry 25 by stellertony from Anchorage, Alaska USA on Saturday, December 03, 2005
I received this a few days ago & neglected to journal it. I'm partway through already and I really enjoy it so far.

Journal Entry 26 by stellertony from Anchorage, Alaska USA on Friday, December 23, 2005
Part of the journal entry backlog again...

This book was okay - not something to write home about (raving or complaining). It kind of makes you think, though.

I'm PMing urspider once more, then I'll skip to the next person.

Journal Entry 27 by mance from Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Received yesterday Cheers. Will read soon

Journal Entry 28 by mance from Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 25, 2006
Sorry it took so long. Interesting read, but really didn't grab me in the way that 'Tuesday's with Morrie' did. Will contact next person in ring

Journal Entry 29 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Tuesday, April 04, 2006
arrived yesterday with the mail and I can actually start *drumroll* today! yeh!

Journal Entry 30 by concertina8 from Wien Bezirk 13 - Hietzing, Wien Austria on Monday, April 10, 2006
I agree with many of the journallers before me, that Albom's book "Tuesdays with Morrie" is better than this one. Nevertheless, I found this a rewarding and entertaining read. The main character Eddie was likeable and some of the stories really got to me. Especially the bit about his difficult relationship with his father. The couple of pages about how all parents damage their children are so good, I will copy them out.

I am last on the list and will check with CandyDarling whether there are any more participants.

Released 13 yrs ago (5/6/2006 UTC) at OBCZ Haydn Kino, Mariahilferstr. 57 in Wien Bezirk 06 - Mariahilf, Wien Austria

at the OBCZ