Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia

by Jean P. Sasson | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0380719185 Global Overview for this book
Registered by loves2readalot of Webster, Florida USA on 9/15/2004
Journal Entry 1 by loves2readalot from Webster, Florida USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2004
A true story of life behind the veil in Saudi Arabia . Heart wrenching.

Journal Entry 2 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

Book arrived on saturday, thank you loves2readalot for the trade.

Journal Entry 3 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Friday, March 18, 2005

I have just started reading this book. So far it is an engrossing and emotional reading. I do not know how these Saudi women able to live this way. Is it out of fear? Fear of religion doctrines? Or combination of both. I am half way through the book and will journal again.

Here is the description. A true story of life behind the veil in Saudi Arabia. "Princess" , because she is a woman, she is considered worthless--a slave to the whims of her male masters. She has watched sisters, cousins and friends sold into marriage as young girls to men five times their age, and brutally murdered for the slightest transgression, in accordance with cruel and ancient religious law. Now best selling Jean Sasson offers a shocking glimpse into a world of opulent splendor and horrific oppression -- and presents the real life story of a courageous modern Saudi princess.....who has risked her very life so that the truth may finally be told.

Paperback 283 pages.

Journal Entry 4 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Thursday, March 24, 2005

I have just finished reading this book. What an eye opener on how the women in Saudi Arabia are treated. The rigid law, where all Saudi women has to adhere. It is so unbelievable, shocking, brutal and heart wrenching. This is a must read for anyone interested in human rights.

I have read the other two trilogy and it is still the same old problem. Perhaps it will never change.

Journal Entry 5 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Accepted by AtHomeGoddess through bookrelay.

Journal Entry 6 by Bulan-Purnama from Springfield, Oregon USA on Friday, May 27, 2005

Book is on its way by media mail to California. So long little book, have a good journey.

Journal Entry 7 by AtHomeGoddess from Fresno, California USA on Sunday, June 05, 2005
Received as part of a Bookrelay. It sounds so interesting that I'm moving it to the top of my TBR pile!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, October 12, 2006
Received today from AtHomeGoddess - thanks for trading! :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, December 05, 2006
An interesting peek into the life of a woman of royalty in Saudi Arabia.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, December 07, 2006
Sending off to bartonz as part of a book trade.

Journal Entry 11 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Thursday, December 21, 2006
I'm looking forward to reading this book! Thanks for the trade Kathtee!

Journal Entry 12 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Friday, August 24, 2007
Wow! This book revealed a lot about how Saudi yoyal families work, play and worship. It was interesting to see how they could compartmentalize their lives by adhering to the Koran at home, but taking part in unacceptable behaviour once they were out of the country. I really felt for this woman.

It is now on its way to Breeze for the Bio VBB

Journal Entry 13 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 04, 2007
Received today! thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by Breeze144 from Ajax, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
The horrors that the Saudi women face and live with are chilling but they are described in a readable way, maybe because we read about how Sultana thinks it through or justifies it. Makes me grateful for what we have and what we take for granted most days!

Passing on to HoserLauren from an ALS on bookobsessed.com!

Journal Entry 15 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 10, 2008
Received today from Breeze! Thanks so much, looks interesting :)

Journal Entry 16 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 23, 2008
Sultana is a princess in Saudi Arabia, a land of Arabs who believe that the male is the dominant sex and that females should not have opinions, be educated, or be able to choose. She doesn't give her real name for fear of retribution, but you wonder how people reading the book could not know that it's her when she has given so many of her life details. Sultana grew up in a household where her father preferred Sultana's brother. She resented the fact that she and her sisters were ignored and resolved to try and change the way her family, and possibly Saudi Arabia, viewed females. Sultana has a fiery spirit which affects all aspects of her life.

Stories are told of women who are raped then stoned to death for being "promiscuous", men who religiously abide by the Koran when they are at home but disregard it when they are abroad (then come back with stories of how western women are whores), and the tale of a woman who fell in love with a Christian and was then locked in a window-less room for the rest of her life.

Some of these stories are almost unbelievable. How humans could treat each other this way and then construe it as being the will of God is unbelievable. I couldn't help but think if the tables were turned for a week how things would change. No one deserves to be treated that way. Unfortunately, I don't think this book is going to do anything to bring about the changes that Sultana so desires.

Journal Entry 17 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 24, 2008
This book is with me now!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 31, 2008
This book is about women in Saudi Arabia. Women are merely possessions of first their father and then their husband. How these women are treated even by supposedly understanding men is absolutely despicable. A woman is raped and then stoned to death for being promiscuous. Another woman is shut in a dark room for the remainder of her life with no interaction with another human being because she dared to fall in love with a Christian. No Saudi man could actually love a woman because if they did this just wouldn't happen.

The book also shows how arrogant, selfish and self-centred these men are. They profess to be extremely religious and when they seem to be out of reach of the Mutawas do whatever they want. They seem to have no morals at all.

Besides all the stories of the oppression of woman there were also stories about the extreme wealth of the royal family. Maybe this is the actual source of the problems as there are no limits and boundaries. I was amazed at the spending with no thought as to a price tag.

Journal Entry 19 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 15, 2008
Sent off today to Candieb as a RABCK! Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 20 by candieb from Austin, Texas USA on Thursday, September 18, 2008
Wow! This has been through quite a lot of bookcrossers! I may not get to this until Spring. I find it hard to read "depressing" books as Winter closes in. Thank you so much for the RABCK and to everyone that has shared this book thus far!

Journal Entry 21 by candieb at Triumph Cafe OBCZ -3808 Spicewood Springs Rd in Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/10/2009 UTC) at Triumph Cafe OBCZ -3808 Spicewood Springs Rd in Austin, Texas USA

Bringing to the meetup tonight at 7pm. If no one wants it, I'll leave it on the shelf.