The Patron Saint of Liars

by Ann Patchett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ometz of Louisville, Kentucky USA on 9/13/2004
Journal Entry 1 by ometz from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, September 13, 2004
Good read.

Journal Entry 2 by ometz at Jefferson County Judicial Center (Courthouse) in Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, September 13, 2004

Released 14 yrs ago (9/14/2004 UTC) at Jefferson County Judicial Center (Courthouse) in Louisville, Kentucky USA

Journal Entry 3 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Yay! I actually found this book completely by accident. I had gotten the release alert, but had forgotten about it by yesterday when I went over to the Judicial Center for work. I was walking toward the pedway and spied a book on the small table outside the LBA lawyer referral office. I immediately wondered if it could be a BookCrossing book...and it was! And to top it off, this book was on my Wish List.
yay!

Journal Entry 4 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Image hosting by Photobucket I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I found it hard to sympathize with Rose - but that just made her character even more interesting.
I also loved the Kentucky setting.

Promised to Sidney1220 who accepted it on the BookRelay (Southern Fiction relay).

Journal Entry 5 by Morgail at mail in Louisville, post office -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (4/27/2006 UTC) at mail in Louisville, post office -- Controlled Releases

Image hosting by Photobucket My release # 9 for the Keep Them Moving Challenge 2006.

Mailing to Sidney1220 who accepted this book from the BookRelay.

Journal Entry 6 by Sidney1220 from McLean, Virginia USA on Monday, May 08, 2006
Picked up from the post office. I really enjoyed the other book I read by this author, "Bel Canto", so I'm looking forward to reading this one...

7/26/06 Reserved for SandDanz, who walked away with it in YBS #17.
______________________________________________________________________________
From the publisher:

St. Elizabeth's is a lovely old place in a small town in Kentucky that used to be the beautiful Hotel Louisa. In the 1960s it is a home for unwed mothers run by nuns. Life at St. Elizabeth's is not unpleasant, but it is temporary. All the pregnant woman who come there will go home within the year. Except for Rose, a beautiful, mysterious woman, who is neither unwed nor alone. She is simply pregnant and doesn't want her husband or her mother to know. She plans to give her baby up because she knows she cannot be the mother it needs.

But St. Elizabeth's is near a healing spring, and when Rose's time draws near, she cannot go through with her plans, not all of them. And she cannot remain forever untouched by what she left behind and who she has become in the leaving.

Journal Entry 7 by Sidney1220 from McLean, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 30, 2006
I enjoyed this book, even though the ending was sort of left hanging. Like Morgail, I found it hard to sympathize with Rose. Actually, I started out not liking her but by the end of the book I positively loathed her. I just can't fathom what drives her actions and her character didn't make sense to me.

On the front cover The New York Times Book Review was quoted: "It is about pilgrimage and healing...A fairy tale. A delight." I can't for the life of me figure out who was supposed to have healed in the book and how something so sad can be described as a fairy tale.

8/7/06 Mailed at the post office.

Journal Entry 8 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Friday, September 08, 2006
Thanks Sidney! This fulfilled a wish for me! :)