River, Cross My Heart : A Novel

by Breena Clarke | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jamesmum of Richmond, British Columbia Canada on 9/14/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jamesmum from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, September 14, 2004
Sending to HoserLauren as a RABCK from the relays.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 18, 2005
Another book in my surprise bag of books from jamesmum! And what a fun surprise it was! I got home from a long day at work where nothing seemed to be working the way it should to this wonderful surprise! All of the books were books off my wishlist, and this was one of them. I was really surprised to see that this one is a discarded library book. It looks brand new!! I had this one on my wishlist because I'm trying to read all of Oprah's book club books.

Thank you very much again jamesmum!! :D

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 28, 2013
Johnnie Mae is a 12 year old living in the Black community of Georgetown, DC in the 20s. Her family just moved north from the south, believing there were more opportunities for Johnnie Mae and her younger sister Clara. However when Clara drowns in the river during a summer swimming outing, Johnnie Mae and the family change forever. Johnnie Mae believes it was her fault since she was responsible for looking out for her younger sister. Now, whenever she sees water it affects her.

I picked up this book because it was on Oprah's list and her recommendations are usually pretty good. This is definitely not one of them. This book felt like ramblings about a family to me. There really wasn't much of a start and there certainly was no conclusion, which made me feel like there was no point to the book. I almost dropped it half way through but figured that something of interest would have to happen in the second half of the book. Guess what? It didn't.

This is a completely pointless book.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Sir Sams Inn in Eagle Lake, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 13, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (9/12/2013 UTC) at Sir Sams Inn in Eagle Lake, Ontario Canada

Left this book at Sir Sams Inn during a nice couple of days away from the city. I hope someone finds it and enjoys it!