** BOOKRING** The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future ** BOOKRING**

by Riane Eisler | History |
Registered by Jesi of Havelte, Drenthe Netherlands on 9/10/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Jesi from Havelte, Drenthe Netherlands on Friday, September 10, 2004
I absolutely loved this book and it is one of the most important books that I've ever read! So if you are interested do not hesitate to ask for it, because maybe it will change your life too! Only one condition: please send it back afterwards (or make a bookray from it so that I will receive it back). I like to re-read it once in a while.

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
Some books are like revelations, they open the spirit to unimaginable possibilities. The Chalice and the Blade is one of those magnificent key books that can transform us and...initiate fundamental changes in the world. With the most passionate eloquence, Riane Eisler proves that the dream of peace is not an impossible utopia. -- Isabelle Allende, author of The House of the Spirits

From Publishers Weekly
Women played leading roles in the first Christian communities; Jesus' teachings had a feminist bent; ancient Hebrews worshipped the prehistoric goddess-mother well into monarchic times; and Nazis, with their system of male dominance, were a direct throwback to the Indo-European or Aryan invaders whom they crudely imitated. These controversial ideas and findings suggest the thrust of Eisler's highly readable synthesis. She convincingly documents the global shift from egalitarian to patriarchal... read more --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Book Description

The phenomenal bestseller, with more than 500,000 copies sold worldwide, now with a new epilogue from the author--The Chalice and the Blade has inspired a generation of women and men to envision a truly egalitarian society by exploring the legacy of the peaceful, goddess-worshipping cultures from our prehistoric past.

Journal Entry 2 by Jesi from Havelte, Drenthe Netherlands on Monday, February 28, 2005
This book is now reserved for biba89

I put the book in the TPG mailbox, so it will arrive soon! I am very curious whether Biba89 will make a ring out of this book or not.. (Hopefully she does!!!)

Journal Entry 4 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, March 10, 2005
Thank you very much! This book was recommended in the 'further reading' list of "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, which deals very much about our past, a large chunk of which we have all but blotted out of our collective memory.
I am very keen to do something about that, so I will start reading this very soon and, no doubt, make a ring, for instance to follow after the Ishmael ring. Thanks again, Jesi!

Journal Entry 5 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, March 28, 2005
I am thankful for the opportunity to read this book. I have learnt a lot from it. Also it has renewed the hope in me to work for a better world.
Thank you, Jesi!
Two of my best friends, also bookcrossers, are going to read this now. After that I will make it into a ring.

My two best friends became bookcrossers, too! Every week we have these discussions about the stuff we read and the things we think. We shape and sharpen our minds with each other's visions. I know that they are both highly interested in the matters Riane Eisler writes about and they can't wait to read this. I will offer it to them this evening and, when they both have read it, make a ring in the bookcrossers community.

Journal Entry 7 by niana from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, February 13, 2006
This book went on a nice little site-seeing tour through Deventer, and finally arrived in my house a couple of days ago. I'm halfway the fourth chapter by now, and I must say I'm intrigued. As a former history-student I'm not too optimistic that people actually can learn from the past, but the historical analysis is definitely interesting. History, we were taught, started with the Sumerians. This books adds another perspective to that story, of which I had heard before, but seemingly never really had understood.

And - just like when I was reading Ishmael - things are happening, things that make the book pop up in my mind every few hours. Subjects that come up in conversation, things I read... like an article in this months issue of the feminist magazine Opzij. It was about the resurfacing practice of bride-kidnapping in the country of Kirgizië (doesn't that sound a lot like Kurgan to you?). This is supposed to be an ancient nomadic tradition (see!) but women are standing up against it, telling the men they "can't trade a woman like you trade a cow". Makes you think, doesn't it.

Thank you for sharing, Jesi and Biba. I'll check in again when I'm finished with the book.

Journal Entry 8 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, March 30, 2008
This book came back from Niana last week. Since it made such a huge impression on me, I really want to read it again before sending it on in a bookring. Thank you, Jesi, for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, July 25, 2009
And I read it again. Where does it need to go now?

Journal Entry 10 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, August 06, 2009
This great book goes back home. Thanks a million!

Journal Entry 11 by Jesi from Havelte, Drenthe Netherlands on Thursday, August 13, 2009
I received the book a few days ago. Thank you Biba, for taking care of the book, reading it and enjoying it...