The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream

by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LFL_CedarPark of Austin, Texas USA on 8/13/2002
Journal Entry 1 by LFL_CedarPark from Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 13, 2002
my next summer read

This book will be my first BOOKRING. Maybe "The Pilgrimage" will be next.

Journal Entry 2 by LFL_CedarPark from Austin, Texas USA on Friday, May 02, 2003
This is an amazing book about Santiago, a shepherd boy who travels in search of treasure. He learns a lot about himself and how to listen to his heart. He also learns how to look for signs.
Seek your dreams.

I found an illustrated copy of this book at a coffee shop. It had been there for a few days and was unclaimed. I was having a hard time giving up my first copy until now. I am going to start a bookring so this book can take a journey.

Journal Entry 3 by LFL_CedarPark at -- Controlled Release in Austin, Texas USA on Monday, May 05, 2003
Release planned for Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at POST in Austin, Texas USA.

This book will begin its journey just as Sanitago did. Bookring order:
piper1 wisconsin
EllyMae58 CA
raynebair Alabama
janaqq TX

Journal Entry 4 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, May 19, 2003
Received this book Saturday, May 17th in the mail. I'm first in the bookring. Looks like a fast read. I'll hurry it along. Thanks

Journal Entry 5 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, May 21, 2003
Very interesting book. On his way to search for his treasure, buried near the Pryamids, Santiago meets many people who help him on his journey and teach him how to listen to his heart, how to follow his dreams, why his Personal Legend is important. Actually, I found alot of what Oprah says on her shows in his book. Some people might not like that comparison, but I found it comforting, like an affirmation of things I've learned before. The book is short enough to read several times to let the meaning sink in.

Journal Entry 6 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, May 21, 2003
The Alchemist continues its journey to Leaping Lizzards in Florida. Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 7 by LeapingLizzards from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, May 25, 2003
Got it Friday finished it Saturday night. A very quick read, and an interesting journey.
I found the message similar to the message in Conversations with God.
It will soon be one its way to geoology girl!

Journal Entry 8 by Geologygirl from Cary, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 17, 2003
Book was waiting for me when I go home. Will set all others aside, and read this in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 9 by Geologygirl from Cary, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2003
I found that I liked the prologue's retelling of Narcissis alot - that when it appear that things are happening for their own reason and not necessarily in harmony with the rest of the world -there is still a reason and a beauty to be seen it that event.

The actual fable reminded me of *Mutant Messages from Downunder*, of which I can't find my copy of right now so that I can re-read it and confirm the comparison.

Sending off to Seferim tomorrow since carin626 let me know she had gotten another copy from someone else.

Journal Entry 10 by Seferim from Columbia, Maryland USA on Friday, June 27, 2003
This book was recommended to me by a good friend, and when I saw the bookring, I knew I had to sign up. Thanks for starting it janaqq. I will read and pass it on very soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Seferim from Columbia, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 05, 2003
Picture credit: Paulo Coelho.com

The writing style of the book was very simple--in that respect it reminded me of Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea, also like Hemingway, there was a much deeper message behind the simple sentences. I enjoyed reading the story of Santiago and his journey.

Like Geologygirl's entry above, I really liked the prologue's story of Narcissus...

There is beauty in simplicity... this book showed me that!

**Future readers: do not forget to sign the page that Janaqq has noted inside the book! :) It is fun to see other people's inscriptions... it makes the bookring a little more intimate!

Journal Entry 12 by Seferim from Columbia, Maryland USA on Monday, July 07, 2003
Mailed to ladyofunicorns this morning~enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Sunday, July 13, 2003
Received this in the mail and am adding it to my pile of rays/rings needing to be read. After I am done, I will write another entry and send it on!

Journal Entry 14 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Thursday, July 31, 2003
I very much enjoyed this book and like Seferim and GeologyGirl, I liked the prologue about Narcissis....I also loved reading about Santiago and his journey. So much meaning in such a little book...~sigh~ Thanks so much for the ring, janaqq. I am happy to be part of this one.

Journal Entry 15 by ladyofunicorns from Santa Fe, New Mexico USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003
snet this book out in today's mail to kbgoffe Oregon! Should be there in a few days or so...so sorry for the delay...

Journal Entry 16 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Tuesday, September 16, 2003
Last week was just so busy that I barely had time to eat I was so exhausted. My husband left on the 9th to backpack Mt. Rainier’s Wonderland Trail. I was busy either being at the hospital with my mom all day or now at my parent’s house. Normally the moment I get a book in I register it right away. This past week I just had no energy at all. Please forgive me for registering your book so late. I did keep all the books I received in order to make it easier when I did log them in.

I am really looking forward to reading this book. It is next after the following bookray/ring books:
Six Shooters: Hockey's Sutter Brothers
The Miracles of Santo Fico
I will read as fast as I can! :) Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 17 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Saturday, October 18, 2003
This was a beautiful book. I read this while I was sick with the flu and I ended up reading it twice. This is a book I will need to go purchase for my father for Christmas. Thank you so much janaqq for sending this book out.

I apologize for stalling this bookring for so long. I lost the book under my bed. It is on its way to JDT now. So sorry!

DC # 0303 0830 0001 0619 9483 USPS

Journal Entry 18 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Saturday, October 18, 2003
Wow - that was fast!
Just received this little, but powerful book today from kbgoffe! (sounds like it's been kind of an intense time for you - hope all is going well now!
Thanks to everyone before me!

Journal Entry 19 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Monday, November 03, 2003
A good pilgrimage story with universal wisdom.
Though I sometimes found it a bit too new age for my taste, and a bit predictable, I found several quotes that resonate within me with the ring of truth:
"It is the simple things of life that are the most extraordinary."
"intuition: a sudden immersion of the soul, into the universal current of life"
" The secret is here in the present....Forget about the future and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it eternity"

Loved being a part of this bookring. Thanks!

Sending on to shellyann as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 20 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Thursday, November 06, 2003
I received this today. Looks good, will get read fast.

Journal Entry 21 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Wednesday, November 12, 2003
Well, I'm swamped with reading and work. I'll try this at a later date. I will be mailing it Ellymae58 next week.

Journal Entry 22 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Saturday, December 20, 2003
Just received in the mail. Will be reading next, once I finish my current read for another bookring.

Journal Entry 23 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2003
Good book. I liked the whole idea of the story. Will be sending this out when I get back home next week.

Release planned for Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at USPS - Mailing to fellow BookCrosser in Montgomery, Alabama USA.

Mailing back to janaqq to complete the ring.

Journal Entry 25 by LFL_CedarPark from Austin, Texas USA on Friday, January 09, 2004
this book has returned home. It is in good shape and ready to continue its journey. I hope it is enjoyed by others.

Journal Entry 26 by LFL_CedarPark at -- Controlled Release in Austin, Texas USA on Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/11/2007 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Austin, Texas USA

This nice book was given to a friend at work. I hope she enjoys it.