Coming Home

by Rosamunde Pilcher | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by arugh48187 of Edina, Minnesota USA on 9/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, September 08, 2004
I read this one quite some time ago and kept it for re-reading. With the advent of bookcrossing, I now realize that this book would be better spent entertaining others than mouldering in a box. Bon voyage, little book.

From the Publisher
Against the backdrop of an elegant Cornwall mansion before World War II and a vast continent-spanning canvas during the turbulent war years, this involving story tells of an extraordinary young woman's coming of age, coming to grips with love and sadness, and in every sense of the term, coming home...

In 1935, Judith Dunbar is left behind at a British boarding school when her mother and baby sister go off to join her father in Singapore. At Saint Ursula's, her friendship with Loveday Carey-Lewis sweeps her into the privileged, madcap world of the British aristocracy, teaching her about values, friendship, and wealth. But it will be the drama of war, as it wrenches Judith from those she cares about most, that will teach her about courage...and about love.

Teeming with marvelous, memorable characters in a novel that is a true masterpiece, Coming Home is a book to be savored, reread, and cherished forever.

Released 13 yrs ago (1/5/2006 UTC) at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases

Mailing off to conto as a Happy Holidays RABCK for 22 December. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, February 23, 2006
And here it is, safe and sound after this big journey!!!
(How I wish I could make such long trips!... I guess I'm missing some hollyday time for traveling!!)

Thanks a lot, arugh48187, for the opportunity to read something from an author I've heard so much about but have never read nothing from!

I'm a bit loaded with rings and rays for the moment, bur I promess to journal it again as soon as I get to read it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, August 20, 2006
Well, I believe it did take me quite a lot of time to get to this one, but I finally did!

This is one huge book (almost 1000 pages in tight letter print!) and I took my time going through it but it was worth it. It took me back to those Austen's or Waugh's kind of books where one can really feel how it was like to live at the time and in the surroundings discribed... it's all so carefully and minuciously characterised: the colours, the scents, the features and the furnitures, the insides and outsides of every place.
But what I most liked was the second half of the book, during the war. I've read a lot about the IInd World War but usually in a very european or american point of view and this one, though from an english point of view of course, takes us further away to the east and to the effects of the asian war on the english soldiers and famillies.
Also, the day-to-day life in England during the war was, I guess, very well grabbed.
Anyway, I felt sometimes it didn't need all that many words to describe all of it and it got a bit boring at times.
I liked it a lot, though.

Thanks once more, arugh48187, for the opportunity!

Journal Entry 5 by wingcontowing at on Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (11/30/2006 UTC) at

To be released somewhere at Lisbon airport, probably at one of the cafés or at the check-in area...

(or else, if in a hurry, when arriving at Brussels airport!)