Midwives: A Novel

by Chris Bohjalian | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kimsbooks03 of Scranton, Pennsylvania USA on 9/6/2004
Journal Entry 1 by kimsbooks03 from Scranton, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 06, 2004
I have yet to read this book yet, but I found that I have 2 copies. I've heard such great things about this book that I want to pass it on in a bookray, so others can enjoy it.

From Amazon: (cover)

Inside Flap Copy
"Superbly crafted and astonishingly powerful. . . . It will thrill readers who cherish their worn copies of To Kill A Mockingbird." --People

With a suspense, lyricism, and moral complexity that recall To Kill a Mockingbird and Presumed Innocent, this compulsively readable novel explores what happens when a woman who has devoted herself to ushering life into the world finds herself charged with responsibility in a patient's tragic death.

The time is 1981, and Sibyl Danforth has been a dedicated midwife in the rural community of Reddington, Vermont, for fifteen years. But one treacherous winter night, in a house isolated by icy roads and failed telephone lines, Sibyl takes desperate measures to save a baby's life. She performs an emergency Caesarean section on its mother, who appears to have died in labor. But what if--as Sibyl's assistant later charges--the patient wasn't already dead, and it was Sibyl who inadvertently killed her?

As recounted by Sibyl's precocious fourteen-year-old daughter, Connie, the ensuing trial bears the earmarks of a witch hunt except for the fact that all its participants are acting from the highest motives--and the defendant increasingly appears to be guilty. As Sibyl Danforth faces the antagonism of the law, the hostility of traditional doctors, and the accusations of her own conscience, Midwives engages, moves, and transfixes us as only the very best novels ever do.

Journal Entry 2 by kimsbooks03 from Scranton, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 26, 2004
This book is now part of a bookray!

A bookray is when a book is sent from one person to another through a list of members who have signed up for it. When the last person on the list receives the book they can do with it as they choose--start a new ray or ring, release it into the wild, give it to a friend--whatever!

Here are the guidelines for this bookray:

1. When the person before you on the list is done reading the book they will send you a personal message (PM) asking you for your address. If you feel that you are too busy at that time to read the book within a reasonable time period (about 1 month), ask that person to skip you and go to the next person on the list. If this happens, PM me to let me know what’s going on and, if you want, I may be able to move you down the list so you can try again later.

2. When you receive the book, make a journal entry letting everyone know where the book is. Keep in mind that there are other people waiting to read the book after you, so try not to take too long to read it. A general rule of thumb is to have the book in your possession for no longer than one month. If you know you won’t be able to get to the book within a month, pass it on to the next person on the list, PM me letting me know, and I can move you down the list so you can try again later if you’d like. If you’re reading the book and it’s taking you longer than expected to finish, make a journal entry letting everyone know! Remember, there’s no such thing as too many journal entries.

3. When you’re done (or almost done) reading the book, send a PM to the next person on the list asking for their address. Even if you think you already know that person’s address, it’s a good idea to double-check to make sure their address hasn’t changed—and also make sure the list order hasn’t changed since you checked it last. If the next person on the list doesn’t respond to your PM within several days, try again. If you still get no response within one week, PM me to let me know what’s going on and then skip this person and try the next person on the list.

4. After you’ve finished the book, journal a quick review of it for us letting us know what you thought of it!

5. Send the book to the next person on the list and post a journal entry letting everyone know it’s on its way. Sit back, relax, and watch the journals as the book completes its journey!

I'm going to leave this bookray open to new members until the book gets to the last person on the list.

Here is the tentative shipping order.

stariel Massachusetts (US)
irishajo Indiana (US)
Casperette Minnesota (US)
bookworm1954 Missouri (US/Canada)
cadelagarza Texas (US)
Amaranta20 Washington (Int)
Tammychi Hawaii (Int)
Vespa England (Int)

Released 16 yrs ago (9/30/2004 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent this book to stariel in Massachusetts. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by stariel from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, October 04, 2004
I just received this book in the mail today, it's next on my TBR list!

Journal Entry 5 by stariel from Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, October 21, 2004
I really enjoyed this book! I had never heard of it before this bookray, but apparently I'm the only one. Even my doctor commented on how much she liked it!

It is very different from most books I have read, but had enough of a crime/mystery/suspense to keep me interested.

Released 16 yrs ago (10/23/2004 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Sent to next bookray participant!

Journal Entry 7 by irishajo from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Wednesday, October 27, 2004
I got this today. I will get started on it ASAP!

Journal Entry 8 by irishajo from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Sunday, October 31, 2004
I hate to do this, but I am going to send this on without finishing it. I trudged through the first 100 pages, but just could not be grabbed by the story. The grisly birth scene did catch my attention, but not enough to make me care about the entire courtroom scene that no doubt followed it. The writing is very polished, and I can see how many people would be caught up in the courtroom drama. For me, though, it just wasn't interesting at all. It will be in the mail to Casperette tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited to say it is in the mail as of 11/3/04. Sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 9 by Casperette from Brainerd, Minnesota USA on Monday, November 15, 2004
This was sent to me through the bookring! It looks interesting. I have one book in front of it and then I will dive in!

Journal Entry 10 by Casperette from Brainerd, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, March 08, 2005
I am so sorry - I never gor through this book. Life just went crazy from the holidays on and I am just now getting back into routine. I am going to pass this on without reading it as I have had it way too long and can not commit to it any time soon. Thank you for the opportunity and again, my appoligies on the delay.

Journal Entry 11 by Casperette from Brainerd, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Received email to skip bookworm so I have a message out to the next bookcrosser. Once I hear back this book will be on its way again! : )

Journal Entry 12 by Casperette from Brainerd, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
I had mailed this out about 6 weeks ago and it came back to me last week as unable to deliver, tried several times. So - I guess I will mail on to the next bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 13 by Amaranta20 from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Came in the mail today. I'm definitely looking forward to reading it, once I finish off the book I'm in right now.

Journal Entry 14 by Amaranta20 from Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, June 30, 2005
I'm done with this book. I have decided to stop reading it, though I am only halfway through.

I thought it was interesting learning about birth and midwives. One minor problem I had was that I thought the 13 year old girl and her 15 year old boyfriend sounded like adults and not the ages they were. The phrasing was wrong. But that was a small thing. What stopped me from reading further was the simile "gaining momentum like an obese teenager on skis." That really pissed me off. It's so unnecessary and cruel. Yeah, yay for her for having creative similes, but screw her for being a bitch about them. There's already too much of a concept in this world that fat people don't have worth and don't deserve to wear cute clothes and are free to be mocked. It is so ridiculous and sad that a woman like Oprah, who featured this book in her bookclub, a woman who has accomplished so much and gone so far and has a loving partner, she still feels she has no worth unless she is skinny. That's not about whether it is healthier to be fat or thin. That's a wrongheadedness in our society that I refuse to support. And for this author to make fun of a fat teenager, an especially vulnerable person, really makes me hate her as an author. I refuse to read another word. I know it won't affect her in the long run, except maybe by the lack of one sale if I had read the book and liked it. But for my own self, I choose to boycott her.

I'll be sending this along to the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 15 by Tammychi from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Aloha! Midwives has arrived in Hawaii. My apologies for not journaling sooner, life has been hectic but I promise to do my best to read it in a timely manner.

Monday, April 10, 2006
Conctacted Vespa for her mailing address and she has asked to be skipped. Will be PMing the ray owner to ask what she would like me to do with the book.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Will be releasing at this evening's BX gathering.

Journal Entry 16 by Tammychi at Fellow Bookcrosser in Honolulu, Hawaii -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (4/12/2006 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser in Honolulu, Hawaii -- Controlled Releases

Passed on to a very pregnant Jaime (during our Honolulu BookCrossing 'Ohana's April get-together)who has previously read Midwives, but found it to be so interesting that she wanted to give it a second read. Sadly, today was also Aluwan's last meetup.
<== Aluwan & Tammy

Journal Entry 17 by Tammychi from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Midwives came back to me today (Tuesday, July 11, 2006) at our montly gathering. Jaime was unable to read it due to her pregnancy. Baby is almost here! Will attempt to release at work.

Journal Entry 18 by Tammychi at NEX Beauty Salon in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, March 04, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (3/4/2007 UTC) at NEX Beauty Salon in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Book was released on the magazine rack in the beauty salon.

Exact Location
4725 Bougainville Drive, Building 631
Honolulu, HI 96818
(808) 423-3397
____

Update: March 11, 2007 - When I went to release Flying in Place, today, I discovered that Midwives was still around. I was very disappointed to say the least since it has been a whole week since I left there. The yellow sticky label was no loger attached and it looked as it had picked up a few times. I hand-wrote a small note and taped to the cover in hopes that it would encourage a customer to take it home.
Can someone please explain to me what is so intimidating about a FREE book?!

Journal Entry 19 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, March 19, 2007
I caught this book at the NEX Beauty Salon in Hawaii. I plan on reading it on my flight back to the mainland as we move to Virgina. We are a Navy family and after I read this book I will send it on it's way to find another lucky reader.

CAUGHT IN KAPOLEI HI USA

Journal Entry 20 by Tammychi from Firenze, Toscana Italy on Saturday, May 19, 2007
Direct link to this journal entry: http://bookcrossing.com/journal/2010768#Tammychi

Aloha everyone!

Just a quick note to let you know that the Lifetime network will have a showing of the movie Midwives based on our book tomorrow Sunday, May 20th.

Here's some info about it:
Lifetime TV Schedule

May 20, 2007
Sunday 10:00 am Midwives

One stormy night, something goes wrong while Sibyl, a well-respected midwife, is helping Charlotte deliver her second child, and Charlotte dies. Sybil performs an emergency cesarean section and saves the baby, but information later comes to light that the mother may have been alive when Sibyl operated. Sibyl's life is turned upside down when she is charged with manslaughter.
Starring: Terry Kinney, Piper Laurie, Alison Pill, Sissy Spacek [CC]