(BOOKRING) Lamb : The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by jamesmum of Richmond, British Columbia Canada on 9/7/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jamesmum from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

This is one of the smartest, funniest books I've read in a long time. It asks the question, "Ever wonder what Jesus did during his formative yeares before thr first miracle at Cana?", and gives us the answer from the perspective of Biff, Christ's childhood pal. It is firmly tongue-in-cheek, and shouldn't offend anyone (to quote the author: "This story is not and never was meant to challenge anyone's faith; however, if one's faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do".) In two words: READ IT!

BOOKRING

Please remember the guidelines:

• journal it
  • ship it within a month
  • use delivery confirmation (US only)

Shipping order:

• MollyGrue (WA, USA)
  • Firegirl (AZ, USA)
  • CaffCaff (UK
  • Jazz-ee2 (UK)
  • Melydia (VA, USA)
  • SurfenKitten (NJ)
  • Fairfaxgirl (VA, USA)
  • AnnaLibrarian (WA, USA)
  • MrsOrdonez (USA)
  • Mirp (Ireland)
  • Harlequinade (Australia)
  • Sally906 (Australia)
  • ChaoticHampster (Australia)

Journal Entry 2 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Thursday, September 16, 2004
I have a couple of other bookrings ahead of this, but I will try to get to this as soon as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by jamesmum from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, September 17, 2004
IMPORTANT NOTE from the ring organizer: There is a second book travelling with "Lamb" which is NOT a part of the bookring - it's a hitchhiker that wants to visit FireGirl. Please keep it with "Lamb", and be sure to send BOTH books to the next person on the list (except for you, FireGirl - the book is yours as a thank-you for volunteering to ship this ring internationally).

Journal Entry 4 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Monday, October 11, 2004
Good book. Not exactly what I was expecting, but good.

On to the next reader!

Journal Entry 5 by MollyGrue at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 29, 2004
Released on Friday, October 29, 2004 at about 3:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring Controlled Releases.

Sent to Firegirl. Happy reading1

DC# 03040370000131395722

Journal Entry 6 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, November 08, 2004
This arrived safely today along with its wonderful hitchhiking RABCK for me! I realized a little while ago that I had inadvertently signed up for two different rings for this book. The other one arrived first and I absolutely adored the book. It's one of my new favorites and I'm buying several copies to give as Christmas gifts to friends and family. Since I was the "launch pad" for this copy to travel overseas, I didn't think it would be right to back out of this ring just because I was foolish enough to not keep track of what I was signing up for. Therefore, I'll be PMing the next person in line and heading this overseas in the next few days. Thanks for sharing the book Jamesmum and thanks for the RABCK!

Journal Entry 7 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Posted off to the United Kingdom today via global priority's flat rate large envelope. (It's the best way to mail overseas that I've found. Gets there pretty quickly and it's not too expensive!)

DC# AA 059 525 167 US

Journal Entry 8 by AngelChild from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, November 20, 2004
Received this morning.... Thanks Firegirl, cant beleive how quickly it got here!

Will start today (pospone the book im currently reading) and post it on ASAP....

Will journal & rate when i'm done!

Journal Entry 9 by AngelChild from Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 30, 2004
What a great book! Thank you soooo much for giving me the opportunity to read it :o)

I'm not a religious person and i've never read the Bible, so there were a few things that just went straight over my head lol! I think you could be easily offended by this book if you are a devout Christian. I did'nt laugh out loud, but it was very amusing. All in all.....I loved it! And i know i'm gunna miss Josh & Biff now i've finished. The ending was a little "and they all lived happily ever after....." but, the afterword was great, very educational! There was me thinking that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute....Hey, what do i know, just shows you that i should probably read the Bible!

Waiting for addy etc from Jazz.... Will post on as soon as i get it.

Journal Entry 10 by AngelChild at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 01, 2004
Released on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at about 2:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring Controlled Releases.

Sending to jazz-ee2 as next participant....

Hope you enjoy it :o)

Journal Entry 11 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 03, 2004
This book has just winged it's way to my letterbox - v speedy, thanks caffcaff! I'm looking forward to it, will journal as soon as I've done...

Journal Entry 12 by jazz-ee2 from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 05, 2005
Sorry, been a bit slow with Christmas and all - will finish it ASAP and pass on!
Jen

10th March 05 - posted a couple of days ago to Melydia.
Will update rating asap.

Journal Entry 13 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, March 14, 2005
This was a pleasant surprise in the mail today. I was only PMed 10 days ago but in that time I'd completely forgotten it was coming. I'm in the middle of a book right now but I'll be sure to start this one by the end of the week. Thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 02, 2005
The title says it all. Levi who is called Biff is raised from the dead 2000 years later to share his account of the life of Jesus (who here is called Joshua), most notably the thirty years missing from the other Gospels. During this time Josh and Biff traveled to the East for 17 years, where they shared many adventures, and when they returned he began his ministry.

This book is pretty funny. Biff is a bit of an ass but a total joy to read. He claims to have invented all kinds of things, from sarcasm to pencils, and his witty but straightforward storytelling is a delight. But however irreverent this book may be, it remains true to the person of Jesus - his kindness, his generosity, his honesty. It also does not dance around his divinity: he was the Son of God and the Messiah, but not quite in the way the Jews expected. Biff's devotion to him is understandable both as a faithful disciple and a lifelong friend.

For most of this book I thought I would be beginning my review with a hearty recommendation against it for any serious Christian. While I still don't know if a Biblical literalist would enjoy this story, I think any Christian (or anyone else) with a fair sense of humor would get a big kick out of it. Moore's epilogue, in which he describes his sources and sheds light on what could have been and what was sheer fiction, sums it up very well: "This story was not meant to challenge anyone's faith; if one's faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do."

Journal Entry 15 by wingmelydiawing at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (4/3/2005 UTC) at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Dropped this off tonight, so it'll probably go out in tomorrow's mail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by surfenkitten from Audubon, New Jersey USA on Sunday, April 10, 2005
arrived in the mail a few days ago, and since i had just finished a book i started right away! ****PROBABLY A SPOILER****

i was a little nervous before starting this, since i fall into the "religious" category. (being a youth minister and all!) but i couldn't put it down. the narrative was great & i could tell by reading it that Moore had definitely done his homework--from Christian, Jewish and social/historical standpoints. (not that i really know anything; i just recognized a lot of stuff.) it wasn't at all derogatory or insulting to Christians, as far as i'm concerned. Biff's the one that kept messing up, not Joshua.

what a neat idea for Christ to have a loyal friend to bring him down to earth, and even unknowingly help him realize more about his mission! the two opposites played off each other fantastically. also thought it was pretty cool that they studied some of the Eastern religions too; makes sense that the Son of God for all people would learn from a variety of religions. liked how Moore linked them all together and then explained all the history in the Afterword. The band of Apostles was great too--the description probably wasn't as far off as we might think!

i agree with melydia; however crude, dishonest and/or skanky Biff was, Joshua was exactly the opposite and stayed true to the character of who Christ was & what he was about. from Biff's blunders, Joshua brings good. although through most of the last part my lip was curling and i was half expecting to hate the book by the time i finished it, the story stayed true to both Joshua & Biff's characters and i actually liked the ending. (not the epilogue though--weird!)

i might have even recommended it to my youth group if it wasn't for all the, er, gratuitious fornication. i thought some of that harlot business was really unnecessary. but i laughed my head off and the action was great, and through most of it i couldn't help thinking--smite me now--that it would make a great movie.

Thanks for sharing Jamesmum! maybe your books are magnetic, since quite a number of them have gravitated to my bookshelf :) off to fairfaxgirl soon!

Journal Entry 17 by fairfaxgirl from Fairfax, Virginia USA on Monday, May 16, 2005
Received in my mailbox today--thanks surfenkitten! From the journal entries, it looks like a good one and I'm eager to get started. More later...

Journal Entry 18 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Monday, June 13, 2005
The book arrived today. I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, but I should be able to get to this one shortly. Thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by AnnaLibrarian from Richmond, Virginia USA on Friday, June 24, 2005
What if Jesus had a crass best friend? What if they went to the East and learned kung fu and Zen Buddhism? What happened to Jesus when he was growing up, anyway?

The title of this book caught my eye when I first read it. I wasn't quite sure if the book was a satire or a religious tract, and it turns out that it's a little of both. Lamb asks the question, "What if..." and then proceeds to answer it page after page.

The story is told from the perspective of Biff, who was raised from the dead in the present time by an angel (with a directive from God, it seems) to write his gospel. The angel gives him the ability to speak in tongues, so the gospel is written with modern American idioms and informal language. If this book had been written now instead of a few years ago, one might imagine that the author would turn the Gospel of Biff into a blog.

There's a lot in this book that is sure to rile the righteous. Although Joshua (Jesus) remains chaste throughout the story, Biff makes up for it by sleeping with almost every woman he meets. If the sex isn't enough to make biblical literalists squirm, I'm sure that Joshua's insistence than there should be a beatitude for the dumbfucks will do the trick. Clearly Moore had a great deal of irreverent fun filling in the gaps of Jesus' life left by the other gospels. And, as he notes, if this book is enough to shake your faith, then perhaps you need to do a little more praying.

Journal Entry 20 by AnnaLibrarian at Bookring in n/a, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 24, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (6/24/2005 UTC) at Bookring in n/a, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

in the mail to MrsOrdonez 0304 3490 0000 8009 7412

Journal Entry 21 by mrsordonez from Fenton, Missouri USA on Saturday, July 02, 2005
Thanks for sharing this, I'll journal upon finishing.

07/29/05
I've sent this on to the next reader, no time for journalling my thoughts now, I promise I will updated later....

Journal Entry 22 by bookaholic2 from Wildwood, New Jersey USA on Monday, August 01, 2005
Received today,I'm in the middle of another book at the moment,will post again, asap thanks

Journal Entry 23 by jamesmum from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, October 13, 2005
Note from the ring organizer: May we have an update on the status of this ring, please? Thank you.

Journal Entry 24 by bookaholic2 from Wildwood, New Jersey USA on Monday, October 17, 2005
Good Read!

Journal Entry 25 by bookaholic2 at U.S. Post Office Atlantic+ Oak Ave in Wildwood, New Jersey USA on Monday, October 17, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (10/17/2005 UTC) at U.S. Post Office Atlantic+ Oak Ave in Wildwood, New Jersey USA

Released to:Tenneh
D.C. #03031910000093717556

Journal Entry 26 by tenneh from Verdon, Nebraska USA on Saturday, October 22, 2005
Received today - will get to it asap. I've really been looking forward to reading this one!

Excellent! My first Christopher Moore but I will definitely search his books out now!

going to BrynnSC

Journal Entry 28 by BrynnSC from Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2005
It's arrived safely in MD. Although I haven't checked my mailbox in almost a week so the poor thing may have spent a few nights all alone in the cold. I'll be sure to give it lots of love and affection while it's visiting to make up for it. :-)

~Bren~

Journal Entry 29 by BrynnSC from Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA on Thursday, December 01, 2005
Finished! And WOW! I absolutely loved this book!

To date I have read these books by Christopher Moore:

Practical Demonkeeping
Bloodsucking fiends
Island of the Sequined Love Nun
Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
Fluke
And now Lamb

I think this one is the best so far! I didn't expect to get to it until next week since I've been working so much but my curiosity got the better of me and I had to start. I took it to work and read a few minutes here and there (showed to a customer; she was hooked and went out and bought it!), a little bit after work when I should have been getting some sleep to be able to get my sons up for the oldest to go to school, out on my deck where my neighbor started reading it and was disappointed when I told her she couldn't have this copy (so she went and bought it, too!) and other odd moments. (If authors have problems about their books being passed around on BookCrossing, they're welcome to read this journal since I got Moore 2 sales within a couple days!)

This book was Laugh-Out-Loud funny for me! Hubby gave me dirty looks and resigned sighs when I brought it to bed and wanted to quote from the book to him every couple of minutes. I loved that Biff was a bad boy and total riot while Joshua remained true. It worked so well!

Now I can't wait to read The Stupidest Angel. Although I just read that there is another The Stupidest Angel (2.0) that has an extra chapter in it from Moore's website.

Thanks, Jamesmum, for including me in this ring! I'll PM KarenZero for her address.

Journal Entry 30 by jamesmum from Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2006
Note from your friendly ring organizer: Just doing a status check on this bookring.

Journal Entry 31 by lostbookisland on Sunday, September 24, 2006
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.