toast

by Nigel SLATER | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by scorpiosphynx of Didsbury, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 9/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by scorpiosphynx from Didsbury, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, September 02, 2004
this is Nigel Slater's autobiography, both funny, touching and sad. I could hear his voice as he narrated the story. Nigel is one of our more private 'media' cooks/writers - I certainly know nothing about his private life and I'm a fan.....so this is a fascinating insight to the past of a seemingly private man. Anyone born in the same era will love the references to the food and food snobery of the day. A great read.

Journal Entry 2 by scorpiosphynx from Didsbury, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, October 15, 2004
this is off to Redhouse so that the Toast Bookring can start up again. May it travel far and be enjoyed by many!

Journal Entry 3 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, October 16, 2004
Arrived safely this morning and will be on it's way to BlueAmazon in America this week.
I love this book. Nigel Slater is truly a national treasure.
LINK to lost ring
Mailing list: copied from lost ring.

1.psychjo (UK) finished
7.Megi53 (USA)finished
8.salemhouse (USA)finished
9.maupi (N'LANDS)finished
10.PRCS (Canada) finished

11.back to redhouse.It's home !!!

Journal Entry 4 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
wonderful -this arrived today. Could it be that British post is better than ours?

Will read and send out right away....

Journal Entry 5 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Wednesday, October 27, 2004
What a splendid book! Nigel Slater's early obsession with food serves us all well - it's funny, sad, emotional, and made me desperately want to eat. I did feel that the last 30 pages [when he 'grows up' - from 16 or so until after catering college] were not as good as the first 200, not as in-depth, etc.

His paragraph on toast, one of my favorite foods, makes me cry.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you. People's failings, even major ones such as when they make you wear short trousers to school, fall into insignificance as your teeth break through the rough, toasted crust and sink into the doughy cushion of white bread underneath. Once the warm, salty butter has hit your tongue, you are smitten. Putty in their hands."

I spent a fair amount of this book reading it aloud to my spouse. Partially because I love the words, and partially because she's British and I didn't know what he was talking about! [now I want a Marmite soldier though.]
She's going to read it too, and I'll send it out by the weekend. I know it's cheating, but I hope that if we can get it out in less than a week, it's OK.....

Journal Entry 6 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Friday, October 29, 2004
I didn't realize this wasn't even available in paper. Thanks to redhouse for the ray, and to scorpiosphynx for getting it going again! This goes this week...

Journal Entry 7 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Thursday, November 04, 2004
my apologies on the delay. the book, as I said, is fantastic.

Mailed this morning to the next reader in Virginia.

USPS tracking number - 0304 1560 0001 0494 8298 for delivery confirmation, see www.usps.com

Thanks again!

Journal Entry 8 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, November 08, 2004
All of the sections seem to have food titles: "Cheese Toast"..."Tapioca"..."Marshmallows"..."American Hard Gums".

Arrived today and I will start it as soon as I finish *10th Grade*.

Journal Entry 9 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, November 22, 2004
Sorry to say that I found this book very gross. I don't know when I'll ever be able to eat spaghetti again after Nigel's description of it being cooked!

Every few paragraphs it seemed someone (usually Nigel) was peeing or vomiting. Penises and condoms appeared way too often -- on Nigel's uncle, his gardener, his dad (another man who gets turned on by his plants!), kids in Nigel's class trading a peek for Nigel's bottle of milk that he can't drink without puking. And the kitchen workers throwing Tim's used condom around while they prepared seafood salad for a wedding -- then they couldn't find it! Blech.

An unexpected delight was finding out that names of British foods I'd always heard of and thought were a joke (Dandelion and Burdock Soda, Mushy Peas, Treacle Tart, etc. etc.) actually existed. Not that they sound very appetizing, though.

Reading about good cooks Stevie and Joan was a pleasure. Nigel can knock out some effective descriptive writing!

His soft-spoken, mushroom-colored-clothes-wearing mum didn't sound like such a terrible cook to me, though. She made Christmas cake, flapjacks, roast potatoes...not to mention toast.

His studies in cookery seemed to leap out of nowhere. First he was an awkward little kid being forced to eat eggs (and vomit them up), then all of a sudden he was a working chef. I'd have liked to have read about how and why he decided to become a food professional. In fact, I'd love to read more of his books that are solely about food.

Mailing to salemhouse tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by salemhouse on Tuesday, November 30, 2004
Received in Minnesota, and started reading it this morning.

Journal Entry 11 by salemhouse on Sunday, December 05, 2004
I had mixed reactions to this book. I enjoyed the culinary memories, but longed for better flow between stories. I am not familiar with Nigel Slater's column, and that background probably would have provided better context for the otherwise disjointed, train-of-thought sequences.

Now traveling to The Netherlands.

Journal Entry 12 by HHX-328595 on Monday, January 31, 2005
Got it.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 13 by HHX-328595 on Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Read it and have mixed feelings about it as well. I liked some parts, and really disliked some others. There's great stuff about food and I liked it how he links food and non-food memories.
But he's not very sympathetic towards other people. They're human, give them a break and most of all: get over it.
Back to redhouse! I need her address and then I might be able to send it from England where I'll be over Easter. Yay hooray.

Journal Entry 14 by HHX-328595 on Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Update: I didn't have redhouse's address when I was in England over Easter. Now I do have redhouse's address and I'll be in England next week, but .... the book is travelling to Canada, a new reader in the ring. Enviable books, travelling all over the world. I already have PRCS' address.

Journal Entry 15 by PRCS on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
RECEIVED THIS BOOKRING BOOK FROM MAUPI TUESDAY
7TH JUNE . HAS SERIES nUMBER 10 BOOKPLATE
BOOKCROSSING IN TIMES SQUARE INSIDE FRONT COVER..
HAVE READ 77PAGES SO FAR CAN'T PUT IT DOWN!!!
I CAN SEE WHY IT WON AN AWARD.. MAKES INTERESTING READING AS I GREW UP IN BRITAIN
IN 6O'S AND 70'S AND CAN RELATE TO MOST OF THINGS HE IS TALKING ABOUT TAKES ME BACK !! ALTHOUGH COULD BE CONFUSING IF DON'T KNOW BRAND NAMES ETC!!! TENDS TO REPEAT HIMSELF I HAVE NOTICED..DON'T THINK IT WILL TAKE ME THAT LONG TO READ! THIS IS MY SECOND BOOKRING BOOK I DID NOT ENJOY READING OUTER BANKS WHICH WAS MY FIRST ONE
INFACT DID NOT FINISH SENT ONTO NEXT PERSON !!!

Journal Entry 16 by PRCS on Friday, June 10, 2005
HAVE NOW FINISHED THIS BOOK I ENJOYED READING
IT, TOOK ME 3 DAYS TO FINISH. WOULD BE INTERESTING TO READ WHAT HE IS DOING NOW
I THINK HE IS A FOOD CRITIC AND COOK AND HAS A COLUMUN IN ONE OF BRITISH NEWSPAPERS
WOULD LIKE TO TRY OUT SOME OF HIS RECEPIES
SOMETIME IF NOT TO COMPLICATED.
HE ALSO SEEMS TO HAVE A GOOD KNOWLEDGE
OF FLOWERS/ GARDENING I GUESS HE HAS HIS
FATHER TO THANK FOR THIS..WONDER WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO JOAN NOW!!
SOME OF THE THINGS THEY DID TO THE FOOD WAS A
LITTLE OFFPUTTING !!!! WILL SEND THIS BACK
TO REDHOUSE BY SURFACE MAIL ... THANKS FOR LETTING ME BE PART OF THIS RING.

Journal Entry 17 by PRCS at -- Controlled Release in Milton, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 13, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (6/13/2005 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Milton, Ontario Canada

WILL BE SENDING THIS BOOK BACK TO U.K. SOON

Journal Entry 18 by PRCS on Tuesday, June 28, 2005
Have finished the book which i really enjoyed
Am now sending it back to Redhouse was going
to send it surface, finally sent it air mail as it did not cost that much more and will get to you much faster !!!!m
HAPPY READING, HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD SUMMER !!! TAKE CARE PRCS...

Journal Entry 19 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, July 02, 2005
Bookring completed, albeit a broken one.
Thanks to everyone and especially scorpiosphynx for mending the chain.

Journal Entry 20 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006
I didn't want to let this treasure go, but I finally bought a hardback copy for my personal collection and this one is off to fellow foodie paxregina in USA.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by paxregina from Pawling, New York USA on Monday, October 02, 2006
I think the subtitle "the story of a boy's hunger" says it all. It is so much more than just a "foodie memoir" -- I found it sad and touching and brave and raw. The descriptions of the food and the emotions that were brought forth in him, were almost tangible, I literally felt the warmth of the "Aga". I hope Nigel found it a cathartic experience to write this book, and I am most grateful to him for opening up and letting the reader share his memories.

And thank you so much redhouse for sending it on yet another transatlantic journey!

I'll be passing this to a coworker of Irish descent.

Journal Entry 22 by paxregina from Pawling, New York USA on Tuesday, October 03, 2006
With Meghan

Journal Entry 23 by paxregina from Pawling, New York USA on Sunday, November 26, 2006
It looks like this one was accidentally released in Chicago, leaving poor Meghan with nothing to read on the plane on the way back to NY. If you find this book and you know Meghan you might want to mail it back to her so she can finish it!