Stolen Lives : Twenty Years in a Desert Jail (Oprah's Book Club (Paperback))

by Malika Oufkir | Nonfiction |
Registered by vavoice of Glen Allen, Virginia USA on 8/30/2004
Journal Entry 1 by vavoice from Glen Allen, Virginia USA on Monday, August 30, 2004
Amazon.com:

At the age of 5, Malika Oufkir, eldest daughter of General Oufkir, was adopted by King Muhammad V of Morocco and sent to live in the palace as part of the royal court. There she led a life of unimaginable privilege and luxury alongside the king's own daughter. King Hassan II ascended the throne following Muhammad V's death, and in 1972 General Oufkir was found guilty of treason after staging a coup against the new regime, and was summarily executed. Immediately afterward, Malika, her mother, and her five siblings were arrested and imprisoned, despite having no prior knowledge of the coup attempt.

They were first held in an abandoned fort, where they ate moderately well and were allowed to keep some of their fine clothing and books. Conditions steadily deteriorated, and the family was eventually transferred to a remote desert prison, where they suffered a decade of solitary confinement, torture, starvation, and the complete absence of sunlight. Oufkir's horrifying descriptions of the conditions are mesmerizing, particularly when contrasted with her earlier life in the royal court, and many graphic images will long haunt readers. Finally, teetering on the edge of madness and aware that they had been left to die, Oufkir and her siblings managed to tunnel out using their bare hands and teaspoons, only to be caught days later. Her account of their final flight to freedom makes for breathtaking reading. Stolen Lives is a remarkable book of unfathomable deprivation and the power of the human will to survive.

Journal Entry 2 by vavoice at on Monday, August 30, 2004

Released 14 yrs ago (8/30/2004 UTC) at

Sending to Jenvince. Saw it on her Wish List :o)

Journal Entry 3 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Thursday, September 16, 2004
Thank you so much for this book. I've been wanting to read this one for a while. Onto Mt. TBR it goes, hopefully to be read soon! :)

Journal Entry 4 by jenvince from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Monday, February 06, 2006
This qualifies for the Keep Them Moving in 2006 Challenge.

This finally made it to the top of Mt. TBR! What an amazing story. I just sat there with my mouth hanging open while I read this. This poor, poor family. I was just stunned by what I was reading. Wow. (I don't want to give anything away.) This book definitely made me realize how blessed I've been during my life. Wow.

RELEASE NOTES: Am putting this into the bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by Pyan from Menasha, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006
Removed from Jenvince's Bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by Pyan from Menasha, Wisconsin USA on Monday, March 06, 2006
Horrifying, true story. This book is depressing, yet inspiring. A story of human survival under conditions that are almost unimaginable.

Released 13 yrs ago (3/6/2006 UTC) at RABCK to fellow Bookcrossing member in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Off to Hoserlauren -- enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 17, 2006
Ah this was a perfect pickme up from a long and boring week of school!
This was on my wishlist because I'm trying to get through all of Oprah's books. Not too many people seem to have this book though, it's been a tough one to find.
This book has travelled quite a bit too, which is always nice to see!

Thank you so much Pyan!

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 28, 2008
Malika Oufkir grew up the daughter of an important advisor to the King of Morocco. Her father's relationship with the King is so close that the King adopts Malika as a young child. While Malika enjoys spending time in the castle and being with the King's daughter, she longs for her family and eventually moves back in with them.

These times, however, were troublesome for Morocco. When Malika's dad stages a coup d'etat, he is shot multiple times and the family is taken away from their home. What results is an incredible story of imprisonment. Malika's large family (she has 6 sisters/brothers) and two friends of the family are taken and their home is immediately looted and leveled. Over the course of about 5 years they are moved to worse and worse conditions until finally, the family is split up into different cells and never let out. The living conditions are deplorable. They had little to eat and lived with rats, mice, and many insects. They stayed in this prison for over 10 years, not being able to see each other and only recognizing each other by voice, before they started to plan how to escape.

I almost stopped reading this book about 50 pages in because I found Malika's account of her earlier years to be quite boring. She provided too much detail as to royal life while I just wanted to get into the meat of what happened to her when she was imprisoned. I'm glad I stayed with it. What an amazing survival story. It's incredible that anyone could survive such conditions. I'm also surprised that Malika didn't request an audience with the King to give him a piece of her mind since she knew him so well and he seemed fond of her. I'm glad that her and her family are getting on well.

Journal Entry 11 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2008
Sent off to GateGypsy from the African Swap.

Journal Entry 12 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Arrived safe and sound on the 21st, but I didn't get it 'til today :lol: