Now All We Need Is a Title: Famous Book Titles and How They Got That Way

by Andre Bernard | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by your-book-fairy of South Orange, New Jersey USA on 8/28/2004
Journal Entry 1 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Saturday, August 28, 2004
This is a really neat little book about how different books got their titles, the challenges writers have in naming their work, and several sets of famous books' original titles. Many of the accounts are in the authors' own words and include fascinating and amusing tidbits (example: John Steinbeck's widow recalls asking a Japanese bookstore whether they carry "The Grapes of Wrath". After some checking, the clerk replied that they did indeed carry "The Angry Raisins".)

Journal Entry 2 by your-book-fairy from South Orange, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 30, 2005
I'm RABCK-ing this along with another book to mrsjones in Ohio, who is a writer herself. In a PM to me, she made mention of some of the challenges she's had with writing in the past few years, and I thought this would be a fun inclusion with the book she requested so she could see that even some of the best authors out there have managed to write great books yet can still struggle with what to call them.

Journal Entry 3 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, February 07, 2005
A surprise RABCK! Thanks! This looks like a really fun read. I'm always interested in how writers get their ideas for characters, plots, storylines and titles. I look forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 4 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 09, 2005
I've been leafing through this book off and on since I got it. There are a lot of interesting little facts about some of my favorite books, and some books that aren't so great but have stories behind their titles.

My favorite story-behind-the-title is the one for "Gone With the Wind." According to this book, GWTW was "...composed under the working title of 'Pansy,' which was what Georgia native Mitchell has originally christened the heroine we know as Scarlett O'Hara. Even after the Macmillan Company had taken on the book and was within six months of publishing it, 'Pansy' was how it was planned to go out into the world."

Pansy?! I just can't imagine it! Scarlett O'Hara called "Pansy??" A more fitting named for Ashley Wilkes, maybe, but not for Scarlett O'Hara!!

Anyway, that was my favorite entry, though there were several interesting ones. Now, my husband is going to pass this book along to a friend of his as an introduction to Bookcrossing (which is a first!). She volunteers at the library, so I'm hoping she'll find this book as charming as I did. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 5 by bonnienclyde from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, June 10, 2005
I'll pass it on

CAUGHT IN CINCINNATI OH USA

Journal Entry 6 by bonnienclyde from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, June 10, 2005
I just got this book from a friend of mine, well from hi wife. Looks like an interesting book. I joined bookcrossing today. What a great idea.