Sister of My Heart

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 038548951x Global Overview for this book
Registered by weareatthebeach of Lake Forest, Florida USA on 8/26/2004
Journal Entry 1 by weareatthebeach from Lake Forest, Florida USA on Thursday, August 26, 2004
I got this book from ratmammy in a trade. I hope to read this one soon. tbr.

Journal Entry 2 by weareatthebeach from Lake Forest, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 13, 2004
This one is reserved for SqueakyChu for a trade.

Journal Entry 3 by weareatthebeach from Lake Forest, Florida USA on Monday, February 07, 2005
I enjoyed this read - I really rated it a 7.5. I was going to rate it an 8 but there was a part toward the end that I didn't care for (which I won't go into so I don't spoil the story). Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

Sending to Squeakychu...

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Got the book, weareatthebeach! Thanks so much for mailing it to me.

Since the (Asian) Indian author of this trade paperback is fairly well known, I decided to turn it into a bookray.

From the back of the book:
"Anju is the daughter of an upper-caste Calcutta family; her cousin Sudhu is the daughter of the black sheep of that family. Sudhu is beautiful, tenderhearted, and serious as Anju is plain, whip-smart, and defiant. Yet since the day they were born, Sudhu and Anju have been bonded in ways even their mothers cannot comprehend."

"The cousins' bond is shattered, however, when Sudhu learns a dark family secret. Urged into arranged marriages, their lives take sudden opposite turns: Sudhu becomes the dutiful daughter-in-law of a rigid small-town household, while Anju goes to America with her new husband and learns to live her own life of secrets. Then tragedy strikes them both, and the women discover that, despite the distance that has grown between them, they have only each other to turn to. Set in the two worlds of India and America, this is an exceptionally moving novel of love, friendship, and compelling courage."

This international bookray will remain open at all times. To join, simply PM me with your mailing preferences. Do keep in mind that this bookray's mailing order will be subject to change at any time due to geography or mailing preferences. Thanks for joining. I hope you enjoy the book!

Begin International Bookray (03/19/05)
SqueakyChu (Maryland) done
elizarose (Wisconsin) done
Neuilly (Maine) done
Luintaurien (Nebraska) done -- 1 year of travel
janetcarolina (Peru) -- 2 years of travel
End International Bookray (03/29/08)

This bookray was ended to lessen the burden of overseas shipping. It remains with janetcarolina as a RABCK. The book traveled for over one year and reached two countries. All remaining participants on this bookray have been notified and their names deleted from the list.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 10, 2005
I thought this book was just okay. The story seemed contrived.

I frequently found it hard to keep track of who was talking. Both of the female narrators (two cousins) shared the same three maternal parenting figures and spoke in the same narrative voice. I had to keep referring back to the chapter headings to learn which of the two it was.

The strength of the book lies in its depiction of how the Asian Indian culture treats women of marriagable age. It's kind of sad, but enlightening.

The book is in the mail to elizarose.

Journal Entry 6 by elizarose from Rice Lake, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by elizarose from Rice Lake, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Sorry this is taking so long, I am just recovering from a relocation and had my Bookcrossing books buried under piles of boxes. Looking forward to getting this started, though!

Journal Entry 8 by elizarose from Rice Lake, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, July 14, 2005
After reading Mistress of Spices, I didn't know what to expect. This was amazing. She may become one of my favorite authors. Am waiting to hear from next person in line--her profile says she will be back 7/19 to reply to PMs.

Journal Entry 9 by elizarose from Rice Lake, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, July 20, 2005
I enjoyed the story quite a bit, and thought that the dual points of view told the story quite well.

Sent in mail to Neuilly 7/19/05.

Journal Entry 10 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Friday, July 29, 2005
This arrived in the mail yesterday! I have one book that I'm in the middle of right now, but I should be getting to this very soon. It looks like a good read - and I'll be able to cross one more country off my "around the world" challenge.

Journal Entry 11 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Wednesday, August 24, 2005
As the participant list now states, this book might be held up a bit at my end. Life seems to have gotten the better of me at the moment. I promise I haven't forgotten about it though! I shall get to it as soon as possible. I'm in the midst of preparing to head back to school but I will bring it along with me and send it form school if I have to! Thanks for the extra time SqueakyChu.

Edit: As now can be seen on the list of participants I'm going to have to put this on hold because my work is just to heavy right nwo for leisure reading. I promise to read it over my next break though (Christmas vacation). Thank you for your patience!

Journal Entry 12 by Neuilly from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, January 19, 2006
First of all, I would just like to thank you for allowing me to keep it this long! I really appreciate it. As promised, I've read it over winter break and will be sending it off on Saturday.

The book was an interesting read, but not spectacular. I got into it a little more towards the end but a lot of the plot twists I could see coming. I felt that there was a slight excess of drama. However, I enjoyed hearing about the Indian culture that these women group up in, and how they perceived it themselves (as well as how they saw coming to the US). I enjoyed the influence of their tales, the ones they grew up hearing. There was a fair amount left to be desired though. Interesting world, but an average book.

Journal Entry 13 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Friday, February 10, 2006
Got it today. Will read and pass on ASAP. Thanks

Journal Entry 14 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Sending on

Journal Entry 15 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Thursday, May 18, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (5/18/2006 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA

Journal Entry 16 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Sunday, August 06, 2006
Hey, im sorry i haven't journaled before, i got this one a bit ago, hope you don't mind if i keep it a bit longer since i got a few rings before this one to read.

Thanks for sharing =)

Journal Entry 17 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Saturday, July 14, 2007
Hello eveyone, yes i'm still alive and so is this ring. I truly apologize for keeping this one for almost a year already and i thank you for being so patient; right now i'm finishing my first semester at school but find myself without a job so, i'll definitively have time to catch up on my reading, which i promise i will, but it might take a lil longer since i have no money at all.

Please do not think this ring is stalled, i'll definitively keep it moving as soon as i get a new job.

Thank you for your kindness.
Janet

Journal Entry 18 by janetcarolina from Lima, Lima Peru on Tuesday, October 06, 2009
I feel so bad so many others didn't get the chance to read this book because of me, i'm truly sorry as this is a beatiful book, i really didn't expect to like it this much as i often don't understand those Hindi terms, which confuse me, but this one really was worth the effort. Thank you so much for letting me break the chain but even if overseas sending is still a problem, i'd like to sent it on it's way so it can be enjoyed by many others, so i'll probably be handing it to any foreign bookcrosser that comes along so it can get back into the world. I hope that's ok.

Thanks, really.