The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency S.)

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 034911675x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingMolyneuxwing of Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 8/25/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 25, 2004
I enjoyed this book - well written, easy to read and funny!

Journal Entry 2 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 08, 2004
Reserved for FiBe

Journal Entry 3 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 14, 2004
Posted to FiBe today - enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 4 by FiBe from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Book received today from Molyneux. Thanks ever so!

Journal Entry 5 by FiBe from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 21, 2004
Enjoyed the book, nice easy writing style.

Journal Entry 6 by FiBe at mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Released on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 at about 11:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Book Relay Controlled Releases.

Posted to Sobergirl as part of a Bookrelay. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, November 15, 2004
Received it today in the mail, as part of a book relay.
Thank you FiBe!

Alexander McCall Smith

Journal Entry 8 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, November 28, 2004
I liked this a lot! Harmless, sweet, stories. I will start reading "Tears of the giraffe" later this afternoon. I will try to collect the whole series and release them all at once.

Journal Entry 9 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, March 16, 2005
The books will travel as follows in Finland:
1.Makari
2.Aava
3.Hetku77
4.Mirz
5.Tirppis
6.Back to Sobergirl

Rules:
Please journal every book individually when you receive the set.
PM the next person on the list for their address.
It's six pretty easy-to-read books, so please try to get through them in reasonable time, is 2 months ok? PM me if it looks like you'll need longer.
When you're done with all books, wrap them up and send them to the next person on the list!

ENJOY!

Journal Entry 10 by Makari from Siilinjärvi, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Sunday, March 27, 2005
Arrived with four other mama Ramotswe on 24th March. I have a good start with that one. I have also read one of them wenn I was in Tanzania in December 2004. So I think I can manage with them in 2 months.

Journal Entry 11 by Makari from Siilinjärvi, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Monday, March 28, 2005
Done! Nice, easy-to-read. The story goes forward like life in Africa in good days.

Journal Entry 12 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, June 26, 2005
I have just tasted bush tea, or rooibos, for the first time in my life, and I must say I quite like it! I think it tastes of cinnamon!
Try it, you'll love it!

Journal Entry 13 by Makari from Siilinjärvi, Pohjois-Savo / Norra Savolax Finland on Thursday, June 30, 2005
Eventually - traveling to Aava

Journal Entry 14 by aava from Dals-Ed, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Got the whole series of Mm Ramotswe books today. I can´t think of better books to read in the summertme. Thanks Sobergirl - and Makari for being patient and finding my address.

Journal Entry 15 by aava from Dals-Ed, Västergötland Sweden on Friday, July 15, 2005
What can I say? I fell in love with Precious Ramotswe from the first page. This is just great fun. Funny how you don´t want this to end and still you have to keep on reading as fast as you can. I´m lucky to have all the other Mma Ramotswe books here with me.

Journal Entry 16 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, September 13, 2005
From National Geographic:
Live transmission from a watering hole called Pete's Pond in Botswana!

WildCam

Journal Entry 17 by winghetku77wing from Nokia, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, October 06, 2005
6.10 I received the whole series of Mma Ramotswe books today from aava at BC meeting in Tampere. I really look forward reading them - thanks for organizing this ring, Sobergirl!

18.12. I finished the first book yesterday. This was something quite different I've been reading lately and I really enjoyed the book. First of all it amazed me how well a male write can describe a woman's life, and even an African woman's life. When reading, you were absorbed into its relaxing atmosphere, and forgot all busy life around you. The case of the twin doctors wasn't that original though - I guessed what it was about right from the beginning.

Journal Entry 18 by mirz from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, January 12, 2006
I received the first four books in our monthly meet up January 11th.

January 15th 2006: I finished the book today, I started it on Friday 13th while travelling to my parents place and I continued reading today while travelling back home. Nice travel reading.

Couple of years ago I tried to read this one in Finnish, but didn't succeed. In English it was better. I loved her attitude and how differently life works in Africa.

Released 14 yrs ago (6/27/2006 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

All six books were sent to tirppis last week. Hopefully post office haven't lost them..

Journal Entry 20 by tirppis on Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Fetched this from the post office today, and I look forward to reading this on holiday... :)

I really liked the book. At first the slow pace of the narrative takes by surprise, but after a moment you get into it. You don't wonder anymore about the story of the missing child but you enjoy learning about Mma Ramotswe and about the Botswanian way of life.

I'll send the book back to Sobergirl today.

Journal Entry 21 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, January 25, 2007
Thank you all for participating in the bookring! The books are now back with me!

Journal Entry 22 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Reserved for Potok-Fan

Republic of Botswana Official Site

Journal Entry 23 by potok-fan from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Wow! I hadn't realized (or had forgotten) what a well-travelled set of books this was! I have read this before (though not the whole set), and when I saw it on Sobergirl's shelf I was tempted to go right back to the beginning before catching up on the later books that I haven't read yet.

[I probably won't journal the whole set tonight - I've spent too much time on the computer already today - but for now let this one say, "Thanks" to S-girl and to everyone who kept the bookring going!]