The Glass Menagerie

Registered by cambridgelass of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 8/25/2004
Journal Entry 1 by cambridgelass from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 25, 2004
I read this for school and really enjoyed it. I've read lots of plays before but not one as different as this. A family during the depression in America, it all takes place in the family home, that itself sets up some interest.

Journal Entry 2 by cambridgelass at on Wednesday, August 25, 2004
Released on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 at Starbucks in Borders book shop in Cambridge, England United Kingdom.

will be released at the cambridge meet up.

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 10, 2004
Don't get too excited, its only me :) This was the last of the recent Cambridge meet-up books that I haven't otherwise distributed. I quite fancied the look of this, not having 'read a play' since auld Bill Wobbleshaft at school, about a million years ago. This is the real deal with stage & artistic direction, "The music subsides", "AMANDA closes her eyes and lowers her head. Count ten" and extra notes from cambridgelass to help the reader ;) This would be perfect for a themed release later, the Arts Theatre maybe...

(18/09) Review to follow

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, September 20, 2004
I really enjoyed this, although i'm not a short story fan normally; I sometimes feel a bit cheated that an author can't sustain a story and develop the characters so that it stands in its own right as a novel. The exception is when there is a strong thematic link between chapters or 'episodes' - like Joyce's Dubliners or Martin Amis's History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters. I digress. This works as a shortish book, because it is written as a play, constrained by what has to happen on a stage, by a limited cast, in a certain timeframe. I even liked the stage instructions for lighting, background music, character actions etc. It felt like I was at the theatre watching, v. strange!

Amanda Wingfield and her 2 children are trapped in a poor & unfulfilled existence in a tenement in St Louis during the 1930's depression. The action is set around the matriarch's attempt to contrive a match for her fragile daughter. Laura is practically a recluse, physically disabled, socially stunted, at ease only when she is looking after her collection of glass animals (the menagerie of the title). Laura's brother Tom is destined to seek excitement & adventure and follow in his absent father's footsteps. I'm certain the reader/audience is expected to find the mother unlikeable; overbearing, controlling & brittle. But I quite liked her, and found the children self-interested & weak. At least Amanda has a strong idea of what she wants, to re-capture the certainties of her youth, and to gain the best for her family; however misguided and unrealistic. Of course, both Laura & Tom will disappoint her, symptomatic of the era and the general ‘southern’ malaise throughout the book.

Thanks for this CambridgeLass. I will release or pass on.

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan at on Friday, October 15, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (10/15/2004 UTC) at

Should feel at home near the theatre. At least its out of the rain :)