The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by herebedragons of Cotati, California USA on 8/22/2004
Journal Entry 1 by herebedragons from Cotati, California USA on Sunday, August 22, 2004
This is a beautiful book, one of my all-time favourites. I bought this copy at a library sale, to send to a friend overseas who is hoping to improve the selection of her local library.

Journal Entry 2 by herebedragons at Library donation in Bishkek, n/a Kyrgyzstan on Friday, September 10, 2004

Released 14 yrs ago (9/13/2004 UTC) at Library donation in Bishkek, n/a Kyrgyzstan

Am sending to a friend who wants to improve the collection at her library.

Journal Entry 3 by azriona from Fairfax, Virginia USA on Monday, October 18, 2004
Caught from herebedragons. I read this book a while ago, and I remember that I liked it well enough. It will be donated to the local embassy library, but I'll probably pick it up at some point in the future.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, May 20, 2005
I believe that this copy had found its way south from the US embassy in Bishkek, the capitol in the north of the country. After I finished it I gave it to an embassy employee who was visiting our university in Jalalabad to return to the embassy lending library.

I enjoyed the book more than I can say in words. For a week or two my world revolved around making time to hide and read a chapter or two without interuption. The parallels to my own culture shock helped me get through a difficult period by reminding me that "it could always be worse", lol. I've moved on to the Achebe novels mentioned in Kingsolver's bibliography, which happened to be in our school's library in English. Also, there is a Peace Corps volunteer currently working in a neighboring Oblast (State) who visits frequently and who used to live and work in Kenya during the period described in the book. He was able to fill in some personal details about Africa at that time.

I recommend this book to anyone who dreams of escape to a world of primitive simplicity. I better appreciate my toilet paper, water from the tap and my other less than western amenities. Love what you have, not what you want to have.

Cheers and thank you for circullating the book for us all to read.

CAUGHT IN JALALABAD KYRGYZSTAN IN CENTRAL ASIA