Memoirs of a Geisha

by ARTHUR GOLDEN | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Acid of Rennes, Bretagne France on 8/17/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Acid from Rennes, Bretagne France on Tuesday, August 17, 2004
Fantastic book on the life of a Geisha. It opened my eyes on a new world which has vanished nowadays!!!

Journal Entry 2 by Acid from Rennes, Bretagne France on Thursday, August 19, 2004
My first international bookring!!!!

I'll start to send it to the US:

Luintaurien (York Nebraska. USA)
mysterylady86 (Missouri. USA)

Brujula
Pouniette
Mimihopps
Destaly7

Just PM me if you don't like the order of the ring! Let me know about it

So the second list :))))

Nobodysperfect (France)

Journal Entry 3 by Acid from Rennes, Bretagne France on Friday, September 03, 2004
Sent today to Luintaurien!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entry 4 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Thursday, October 14, 2004
Got this on Tuesday. thank you. Will read ASAP.

Journal Entry 5 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Friday, November 19, 2004
I liked this book. It was very engaging. Thank you for the chance to read it. I will pass it on to the next person on the list as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 6 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Monday, November 29, 2004
Released on Monday, November 29, 2004 at about 4:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Controlled Release in York, Nebraska USA.

Journal Entry 7 by mysterylady36 from Ashland, Missouri USA on Thursday, December 02, 2004
Arrived safely today. Thanks! I have been wanting to read this for awhile now.

Journal Entry 8 by mysterylady36 from Ashland, Missouri USA on Saturday, December 18, 2004
Wow! I really enjoyed this book. I will be sending it on next week.

Journal Entry 9 by mysterylady36 from Ashland, Missouri USA on Tuesday, December 21, 2004
Mailed to Nyla7 today.

Journal Entry 10 by nyla7 from Wharton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, December 28, 2004
I just received this for the bookring, and as luck would have it I just finished the book I was reading. I'll start it today- I'm really looking forward to it, I've heard so many good things!

Journal Entry 11 by nyla7 from Wharton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, January 18, 2005
I am actually enjoying this book more now that I've finished it than when I was reading it. While I was reading it, I liked it, but now that I've finished it, I noticed it has stuck with me and has kind of been percolating in the back of my mind for a while. It seems to be getting better with "age", if that makes any sense.

I did find the beginning to be a bit slow, even though I enjoyed being immersed in the culture. There was a definite turning point for me (but I won't say it in case of ruining it for someone) where it became a book that I didn't want to put down, and I was actually very surprised by the ending. All in all, I think it's a great book.

I just put it in the mail today (1/18/05) to Bunnybee. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Monday, January 24, 2005
It's here! I have heard SO many great things about this book. I am thoroughly looking forward to reading it!

I have a few bookring books ahead of this one, but will journal back as soon as I start on it. Looks like a book to be savored.

Update: Decided to bump this up on my bookring TBR- started this last night- 1/28!

Journal Entry 13 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Thursday, February 03, 2005
What an engaging book! The story just drew me in and I felt like I was right there with Chiyo/Sayuri as she went through all the events of her life. I just can't imagine being taken away at such a young age like that- and into a world like that. But at the same time, it's ironic that as much as they seem like just slaves, they are also taken care of, and being a geisha seemed not like slavery but more of a place high on the social scales. They end up with no freedom, yet they can still have power. Very ironic combination all meshed as one.

I found this hard to put down, and went through the book much faster that I'd expected! I had planned to read slowly and savor it, but ended up reading quickly to see just what will happen next! And it was interesting to realize that such a demeaning activity as the world of the geishas actually had happened not too long ago, and was such a socially accepted and supported activity. I suspect that it still occurs today, as all cultures have their own "underworld", but just maybe not as prevalent. And thank God that the women of Japan have more options open to them today, and can be successful doing what they WANT. I just can't imagine being in a situation like that where I didn't have any say over what was done to me. Sure, she had a choice, but the consequences for those choices really didn't leave her with much of a choice to begin with.

Thank you for sharing the book with us, Acid! It was a wonderful read.

I am still waiting to hear back from ann-718my, and I'm getting worried because I haven't heard back, and she lives in Malaysia (one of the areas hit by the tsunami). I will give it a few more days, and then we may have to skip her. I do hope she is doing okay.

Journal Entry 14 by Bunnybee from Amarillo, Texas USA on Friday, February 04, 2005
Woohooo!!! I heard from ann-718my and she's okay!!! :-D

The book is headed out today to Malaysia. I put in a bookmark that I thought would be cool if it travels with the book- but if someone wanted to keep it, I can't stop you! lol ;-)

Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 15 by ann-718my from Cyberjaya, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Saturday, April 02, 2005
received it last week!! i just got out of hospital and now it's a perfect time to read it while i'm recovering. i'm soooooo looking forward to read this book! thanks BunnyBee for mailing it to me. and thanks Acid for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by ann-718my from Cyberjaya, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Wednesday, April 06, 2005
this truly a wonderful captivating book! the way it's written, i couldn't put the book down. i sure learn alot about the geisha culture but in a so much fun way instead of reading boring thick about-geisha book. =)

i agree that it's a vanishing world. it's difficult to find true geisha in Japan nowadays, they're whether very very old or gone. i saw in a tv documentry a few years ago about geisha. they have modernised version of geisha now since they no longer practice the old culture. it's probably because of practicality and fitting in i guess.

thanks soooo much Acid!!! i think that you deserve the bookmark best. =)

UPDATE (Apr 12): somebody has rabck wizzbiz a copy of the book and she's sent her apologies to everyone. i already have seaflower's addy and will mail it soon.

UPDATE (May 3): already sent this out last week! happy reading

Journal Entry 17 by seaflower from Mustasaari, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, May 10, 2005
The book arrived today. I will start reading as soon as possible - currently have another bookring here, but it seems it won't take too long to finish.

Journal Entry 18 by seaflower from Mustasaari, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Friday, May 27, 2005
This was such a good book that it's hard to find the right words just to describe how much I like the way it was written. I feel that this is a book I could read again and again, and still discover something new each time I read it.

The bookmark was lovely as well, and I left it in the book :-)

I'm waiting to hear from the next person on the list, and then it will be sent off to her as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 19 by seaflower from Mustasaari, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Sending off the book to Catrionna in France tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, I just seem to get anything done these days :-(

Journal Entry 20 by catrionna from Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Friday, July 15, 2005
Got it! Will read it ASAP.