Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

by Jung Chang | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by mofaye84 of Wayne, West Virginia USA on 8/12/2004
Journal Entry 1 by mofaye84 from Wayne, West Virginia USA on Thursday, August 12, 2004
Amazing. Everyone should read this book.

Journal Entry 2 by little-lulu from Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Thursday, February 24, 2005
Just received. Thanks for sharing, Mofaye84. Will write more after reading it.................

8-17-05
Even though I attended the discussion of this book in May, I hadn't finished it; but now I have. It is an amazing story; and even though told through the filter of a young girl, the enormous pain and suffering inflicted in the Cultural Revolution of the 70's and in the civil war between the Communists and Kuomintang before that, is quite clear. Actually, the suffering inflicted by those in power is evident in the stories of all three women right down through history.
From the women in the grandmother's day to the Kuomintang, the Communists, the non-party members, the Cultural Revolution rebels, life for those out of power, whatever gender or position, was terrible. I'm so glad I didn't have to grow up in that country, even though the propaganda in China tried to paint a sorry picture of life in capitalist countries. The persecution of those merely labeled a "capitalist-roader" or any other label that a vindictive peasant leader or jealous neighbor might want to attach to you just turns my stomach.

A good companion book to Orwell's _Animal Farm_

Two fellow BookCrossers have expressed an interest in reading this, Mofaye84, so I'm taking it to the meet-up tomorrow night. Thanks again.

8-25-16
I'm glad to see this book will be making its way to Asia thanks to rhythm-biscuit!

After I released this Book, I found another copy at a used book store and read it again and gave it away again (not through BookCrossing).

It is one of two books that I have repurchased after releasing and then re-released (in my life so far). The other was "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Journal Entry 3 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Saturday, September 17, 2005
Little-lulu gave me this book at our monthly meeting at Perkins in Colorado Springs.

Journal Entry 4 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Friday, February 26, 2016
This book turned up on my bookshelf again after all these years. I have offered it in booklady331's Non-Fiction VBB.

Fly, (not-so) little book! Have adventures with future readers.

Journal Entry 5 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (8/24/2016 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

I read about a third of this book, and although I was intrigued by the grandmother's and mother's stories, I decided not to keep reading.

I included this book in the Asian bookbox. I hope it finds its reader.

Journal Entry 6 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 19, 2016
This book made a brief stop at my home, as part of the Far East book box.

Journal Entry 7 by little-lulu at Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Monday, November 21, 2016
I hope someone reads it. My book group did and it is definitely worthwhile.

Journal Entry 8 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017
This book came back to me in the Far East bookbox. I had hoped that someone would select it.

I will replace it with something else and probably finish reading it. Thanks!