A Gathering Light

by Jennifer Donnelly | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by flajol of Carterton, Wairarapa New Zealand on 8/10/2004
Journal Entry 1 by flajol from Carterton, Wairarapa New Zealand on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
A straightforward easy read which hooked me in and kept me interested all the way to the end.

I had no doubts about Mattie's eventual fate, but it was interesting to watch her relationship with Royal unfold alongside that of Carl and Grace in the letters.

Saving this to release at the Edinburgh Book Festival next weekend.

Released on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at Edinburgh International Book Festival in Book Crossing Meet-Up, a fellow bookcrosser Controlled Releases.

Given to Shelbycat.

Journal Entry 3 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, August 29, 2004
Just got back from the Edinburgh Book Festival with this book which i accidentally started reading on the way back home and am enjoying so far :)

Journal Entry 4 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, September 12, 2004
I've now completely read this book and have to say i really enjoyed it, especially the ending (not giving it away). I loved the descriptions of how life was like for this young girl growing up in a very harsh environment.
I think i'll offer this up on BCUK.

Journal Entry 5 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 08, 2004
This is now on it's way to another BXer.

Journal Entry 6 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Friday, December 17, 2004
Received the book today.Many thanks for the nice RABCK!

Journal Entry 7 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, January 03, 2005
Started reading today. I liked it from the start! The story seems very interesting and I cannot wait to learn more!

Journal Entry 8 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, January 13, 2005
I enjoyed this novel. Mattie was very good character and a good storyteller, as the whole story is presented through her point of view.I liked her passion for books and felt sorry for her that she was not understood in her society.

The idea of putting a rare English word at the beginning of each chapter was original and conveyed well the passion for learning.

Suprisingly,I could not relate well to Grace`s tragedy.Somehow this aspect of the story for me was overshadowed by Mattie`s experiences.I didn`t feel it like a centre of the novel,although it was well evident that Grace`s death brought important changes to Mattie`s decision and made her more critical regarding women`s status.

I felt satisfied with the final of the book,too:-)).And thanks once again,Shelbycat,for this RABCK.I noticed there are several people who have this title on their wish lists;I think I`m going to repay the RABCK,rabcking it to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 9 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, January 13, 2005
I already found a reader for this book. This is
ri from Canada.The book is going as rabck to her.

Journal Entry 10 by bookmaniac70 at on Monday, January 24, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (1/24/2005 UTC) at

Send RABCK to ri from her wish list.

Journal Entry 11 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, February 03, 2005
This treat arrived today in the mail. Thanks so much, bookmaniac70!

Journal Entry 12 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, March 24, 2006
I loved this book. Mattie was such a beautiful balance of confidence and apprehension, duty and independence. During the last 1/3 of the book, I really could not put it down and neglected all else for the day! Thanks for passing this one on to me, bookmaniac! Sorry it took so long to get around to reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 23, 2006
received from the live swap at the 2006 Toronto Convention.

Journal Entry 14 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 25, 2007
A Gathering Light is a 'coming-of-age' book. At the turn of the century Mattie Gokey has decisions to make about her future. Mattie's mother has passed away due to breast cancer and now the management of the household falls to her. Mattie is torn between familial responsibilities, including a promise to her dead mother, aspirations of becoming a writer and the romantic interest of the neighbouring farmer's son.

Matties is working the summer after graduation at The Glenmore when a murder of a young woman occurs. This young lady has given Mattie a bundle of letters to burn. Mattie solves her dilemmas by reading these letters.

This book 'reads' so well. The reader is drawn into Mattie's life. What choice will she make?

I loved this book and I thought the inclusion of a new word to add to Mattie's vocabulary was brilliant

Journal Entry 15 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 04, 2007
Received from my mom and I've started reading it!

Journal Entry 16 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 06, 2007
The year is 1906, and Mattie lives with her family on a farm. But this isn't an ordinary family. Mattie's mother has recently passed away from cancer and her brother left for unknown reasons after an argument with their father. With a family full of girls, life on the farm is tough. Mattie tries to keep up with her school work and eventually gets a scholarship to college. But she has to struggle with the decision of whether or not to leave her family for school.

Woven into this story are the letters of Grace Brown, who was murdered by Chester Gillette in 1906 (true story, and after researching this online, the letters in this novel are Grace's actual letters). Mattie finds these while working at a hotel to try and earn money both for herself to potentially go to school and for her father to make life easier on the farm.

Mattie is quite the character. She seems so balanced in her decision-making. She wants to learn, but doesn't want to let her family down. She is insecure with love and running her family, but very secure with words and composition. Although, I have to be honest, I thought that Matt was a guy for about the first 30 pages of the book!

Even though later in the book Grace's letters help Mattie make her decision, I thought that they didn't flow well with the book and that I didn't really care. Mattie's home life was page turning, whereas Grace's letters were very blah.

This was a great book that show the trials and tribulations of life on a farm in the early 1900s.

Journal Entry 17 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 06, 2007
This book is back with me

Journal Entry 18 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2007
mailed today to my birthday partner

Journal Entry 19 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Sunday, November 25, 2007
Another from my birthday partner! This too from my wishlist (Though listed under a different US title). Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 20 by meshe from Bonaire, Georgia USA on Wednesday, December 05, 2007
I loved this book. I was most interested in Mattie's part of the story. She was such a strong character with so many nuances. Grace and her letters were quite pathetic, but may have been more interesting had we known more about her life. While the letters and the story of Grace and Chester (Carl) weren't my favorite, I think they were necessary to the story. My favorite character after Mattie was Weaver. I think I'd like to read about his life, don't you think that would make a great book.

Journal Entry 21 by meshe at Bonaire, Georgia USA on Tuesday, July 26, 2011