The Beach

by Alex Garland | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by RedDahlia of Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on 8/10/2004
Journal Entry 1 by RedDahlia from Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 10, 2004
TBR

Journal Entry 2 by RedDahlia at Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, July 18, 2014
I waited to read the book because I heard the film was so awful and it put me off the story. Having read the story I can't say that the film would appeal to me either. It could have been good but I was bewildered for most of the time and couldn't understand why Richard was continually seeing and conversing with somebody who had died at the beginning of the novel.

Richard had been a backpack traveller in Bangkok dossing down in a guesthouse. He got talking to somebody who was staying in the next room who called himself Daffy Duck. Daffy Duck commits suicide but leaves a map pinned to Richard's door with directions to a Secret Island which everybody has heard about but nobody knows where it is. He got talking to a couple of other young french travellers and they decide to search for this Island. They come across a hippy type commune and are permitted to join them. I kept expecting something exciting to happen but when something seemed about to happen it all just seemed to fizzle into nothing.

Towards the end things seemed to escalate a bit more but I'm not sure I really had a clue what was actually going on. There seemed to be no depth to any of the characters either and most of the time they were all either stoned, a little bit batty, completely psychotic or jumping around and playing Robinson Crusoe & friends.

A weird book.

Released 7 yrs ago (7/19/2014 UTC) at Tesco Stores, Thorpe Road in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Left on the book charity table in aid of diabetes