Nantucket in Color (Profiles of America)(J262)

Registered by MRJIGGS of St. Louis, Missouri USA on 8/7/2004
Journal Entry 1 by MRJIGGS from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 07, 2004
discarded by library; hardback; 95pp; published, 1973

Gorgeous, gorgeous photographs. Makes you want to go there!

Inside front cover: "The appeal of Nantucket is legendary, setting it aside from the usual New England seacoast resort. While its scenery and recreational opportunities, its invigorating climate, open heathland and sandy beaches are great attractions, the historic background of the old town brings the visitor in touch with a vital history of a great whaling empire that ruled the oceans from this small island out in the Atlantic, and the generations of whalemen and the craftsmen and artisans who aided them.

Described by Daniel Webster as "the unknown city in the ocean," Nantucket's old houses, streets and lanes are so well preserved that one can imagine the daily life of a seafaring people of the 18th century. After the last whaleship left, never to return, the town fell asleep for almost a hundred years, and its charm has been preserved with the old houses and the leisurely way of life. Nantucket was discovered again, by tourists looking for an unspoiled haven, and the islanders have striven to preserve it thus.

Nantucket's exciting history is told by Edouard A. Stackpole, and the architecture, landmarks, natural beauties, and daily life of the island are captured by Peter H. Dreyer's photography."

Journal Entry 2 by MRJIGGS from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, September 13, 2004
mailed to jennannej in Lincoln, NE today, 9-13-04

Journal Entry 3 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Thursday, September 23, 2004
Received this in the mail last week from MRJIGGS. Thanks so much! I'm so excited to visit the places I see in this book.

Journal Entry 4 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2004
Wow! I didn't know anything about Nantucket until I read this book. Nice pictures. Makes me want to see some of it myself. I'm glad to be in the area. I don't know if I'll get there, but I'm planning on visiting its neighbor--Martha's Vineyard.

I'm leaving this book with a friend because I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she grabs a ferry out to Nantucket someday.

Journal Entry 5 by moliravioli from Orlando, Florida USA on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Sorry...never got around to reading this. But, I never got around to going to Nantucket either:)