The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea

by Junger, Sebastian | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 039304016x Global Overview for this book
Registered by gategrl of Wallingford, Connecticut USA on 8/4/2004
Journal Entry 1 by gategrl from Wallingford, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, August 04, 2004
Amazon Editorial Review:
The phenomenal bestseller, in its original hardcover edition, soon to be a major motion picture starring George Clooney. It was the storm of the century, boasting waves over one hundred feet high--a tempest created by so rare a combination of factors that meteorologists deemed it "the perfect storm." When it struck in October 1991, there was virtually no warning. "She's comm' on, boys, and she's comm' on strong, radioed Captain Billy Tyne of the Andrea Gail off the coast of Nova Scotia, and soon afterward the boat and its crew of six disappeared without a trace.

In a narrative taut with the fury of the elements, Sebastian Junger takes us deep into the heart of the storm, depicting with vivid detail the courage, terror, and awe that surface in such a gale. Junger illuminates a world of swordfishermen consumed by the dangerous but lucrative trade of offshore fishing--"a young man's game, a single man's game"--and gives us a glimpse of their lives in the tough fishing port of Gloucester, Massachusetts; he recreates the last moments of the Andrea Gail crew and recounts the daring high-seas rescues that made heroes of some and victims of others; and he weaves together the history of the fishing industry, the science of storms, and the candid accounts of the people whose lives the storm touched.

The Perfect Storm is a real-life thriller that leaves us with the taste of salt air on our tongues and a breathless sense of what it feels like to be caught, helpless, in the grip of a force of nature beyond our understanding or control. We know on the strength of this stark and compelling journey into the dark heart of nature, what it feels like to drown.

Journal Entry 2 by gategrl from Wallingford, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Shipped to RalieghDog in Arizona,7-29-08.

Journal Entry 3 by RalieghDog from Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Arrived today thanks gategrl.