Bitch: In Praise of Difficult Women

by Elizabeth Wurtzel | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by alrescate of Strafford, Missouri USA on 8/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by alrescate from Strafford, Missouri USA on Monday, August 2, 2004
This has been on the TBR stack for a long time but I've never gotten around to it. I guess I've been too busy being a difficult woman to read about other difficult women.

From the flap:
Bitch tells a tale both celebratory and cautionary as Wurtzel catalogs some of the most infamous women in history, defending their outsize desires, describing their exquisite loneliness, championing their take-no-prisoners approach to life and love.

Journal Entry 2 by alrescate from Strafford, Missouri USA on Tuesday, August 3, 2004
This is on the way to Florida!

Journal Entry 3 by mcbeth from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, August 6, 2004
Wow! This was a total surprise RABCK from alrescate and arrived today with another book we had arranged a trade for. You're so wonderful, alrescate, thank you so much for sending this along...please let me know anytime you see something available from my bookshelf that you'd like to have and it's all yours! Thank you also for the beautiful postcard you sent along with the books. Getting this package today really lifted my spirits!

Journal Entry 4 by mcbeth from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, August 7, 2006
I don't often read non-fiction but this was a very fascinating collection of essays which held my interest to the end. The author draws heavily from pop culture, characters from literature, rock music, films, art, poetry, the bible, and ripped-from-the-headlines tabloid examples but left me wondering why the title "Bitch" since the book was not really centered on bitchy characters at all but was written from more of a feminist perspective with compassion for most of the women's stories.