Interpreter of Maladies

by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 039592720x Global Overview for this book
Registered by alrescate of Strafford, Missouri USA on 8/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by alrescate from Strafford, Missouri USA on Monday, August 2, 2004
This won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2000 and is the debut collection of short stores from Jhumpa Lahiri.

From the back:

"A writer of uncommon sensitivity and restraint...Ms. Lahiri expertly captures the out-of-context lives of immigrants, expatriates, and first-generation Americans" (Wall Street Journal). In stories that travel from India to America and back again, Lahiri speaks with universal eloquence to everyone who has ever felt like a foreigner.

************
I can see why this has been widely aclaimed. Lahiri's collection of short stories is stunning. My two favorite stories were "When Mr. Pirzada Came To Dine" and "The Third and Final Continent" but there really isn't a bad story in the bunch. I really enjoyed the collection and read it in just a few hours.

Journal Entry 2 by alrescate from Strafford, Missouri USA on Tuesday, August 3, 2004
This is on the way to Florida!

Journal Entry 3 by mcbeth from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, August 6, 2004
This book arrived today from alrescate. Thank you so much for the lovely postcard! I'm really looking forward to reading this as I loved "Namesake" by the same author. I'll journal again once I've read it and before releasing again. Thanks for the trade, alrescate!

Journal Entry 4 by mcbeth from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 1, 2006
This is a beautiful collection of short stories centered around the theme of Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi culture. Some of the stories take place in America and some seem to take place in the home countries. The common thread is that each story defines at least one character grappling with life in some way. I found the stories fascinating and am very grateful to alrescate for sharing the book with me!