Great Classic Library:Jane Austen-Pride & Prejudice,Northanger Abbey,Persuasion

by Jane Austen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by busybooklover on 7/28/2004
Journal Entry 1 by busybooklover on Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Trade sized paperback I found at a Library sale for a steal! Reserved for Antof9 to make her Jane Austen wishes come true! :D

Journal Entry 2 by busybooklover at on Thursday, August 05, 2004
Released on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at Given to another bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Mailed to Antof9 to fulfill a WISH!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, August 09, 2004
OHMYWORD! This is one of the nicest surprises ever! I have to paste some of the PM conversation with BBL here so you can see just how kind (and silly) she is!

First, I received a PM saying this:
If you will kindly PM me your address... a book containing the three Jane Austen classics "Pride & Prejudice", "Northanger Abbey" and "Persuasion" will be on its way to you! It's a Trade sized Paperback (1994) I found for, get this, fifty cents! SCORE! SO,.... bibbidi bobbidi boo... may your Jane Austen wishes come true! :D

I wrote back:
Are you serious!? My own fairy godmother?! I'm speechless! (typeless?) And totally dumbfounded. You are way too kind! Can I send you something (stamps, chocolates, young men to carry you around on a bier) in return?

P.S. FIFTY CENTS! That's highway robbery (on your part, I mean!)

And her response:
Imagining myself being carried around by young men (in the proximity of chocolate!) was worth it all! I laughed out loud... No reciprocation necessary... just collusion. You are now an accessory to highway robbery. *snerk* If you haven't seen Shrek 2... I'm probably more like THAT fairy godmother... There is no midnight clock.. feel free to add this to your Permanant Collection, you will NOT turn into anything but a "tired reader" after midnight :D Hee hee.

Truly, this was so fairy godmotherish, I can't believe it! And I just realized there's a bookmark in this book too! Thanks :)

I *love* having a Fairy Godmother! And one who notices my love of Jane is a treasure beyond words. To be in collusion with her on the felony of only paying $0.50 for this book is something I will cherish forever. And hope that any money the BX supply store makes can go toward bailing us out of jail!

Is highway robbery the same as Grand Theft Auto? Just curious so I can properly identify the type of criminal element with which I've associated myself :)

Dear Fairy Godmother, thank you SOOOOOOO much! I'm even happy with the size of this book! There's something about a good solid book to make me feel positively brilliant. Or at least really, really bookish in a very cool way.

bibbidy bobbity bo, into the PC you go!

Journal Entry 4 by busybooklover on Monday, August 09, 2004
♥ Blessed indeed is she who pairs a book with a desirous reader...not to mention a potential future cell mate! Thanks for the lovely journal entry and the permanant reminder of what fun it was to surprise you! ♥ ~ Mary

Journal Entry 5 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, August 12, 2004
I'm a little sniffly :) (in a good way)

Making one more journal entry (before the "reading" one) to put this in *my* PC! Thanks again! Love the hearts, BBL :)

xoxo to my Fairy Godmother

Journal Entry 6 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Saturday, January 21, 2006
I found out recently that my MIL, who has read a milliondybillion books, has never read P&P! So I'm going to lend this to her to see if she likes it as much as she liked the movie :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, March 05, 2006
Back from the MIL. I'm pretty sure she liked it, but she didn't say much :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingAntof9wing at Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, May 08, 2011
My book club recently chose to read Northanger Abbey, and I was thrilled and kind of smug that I already had a copy. I was also ready for a break from the Millennium Trilogy, but that's another story.

Anyway, here's the brilliant and lengthy review I just wrote on Goodreads:

I found this book full of funny lines, but as discussed at book club this morning, nowhere near as clever as P&P. Also? The ending is really abrupt. Could have used about 3 more chapters.

I marked a ton of things in the book and also on the iPad (yay for free public domain ebooks!), but am not sure I'm really going to type them all in here. I might some day but for now I'll just say I did find it pretty entertaining. And I kind of wanted to punch Mrs. Allen.

Ha! I have a million sticky notes sticking out of the pages of this book, so I will probably update this at some point (or re-read the book and update it), but for now, that's my review. I love owning this (these) book(s).

Journal Entry 9 by wingAntof9wing at Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, June 27, 2011
This is a banner year for this book and book clubs! Another one of my book clubs just announced we're reading Persuasion, which is also in this book. And so, I'm smug. Again :)