Exquisite Corpse

by POPPY Z BRITE | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingjarewing of Port Richey, Florida USA on 9/2/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Thursday, September 02, 2004
From the back cover:

To serial slayer Andrew Compton, murder is an art, the most intimate are. After feigning his own death to escape from prison, Compton makes his way to the United States with the ambition of bringing his art to new heights. Tortured by his own perverse desires, drawn to possess and destroy young boys, Compton inadvertently joins forces with Jay Byrne, a dissolute playboy who has pushed his art to limits even Compton hadn't previously imagined. Together, Compton and Byrne set their sights on an exquisite young Vietnamese-American runaway, Tran, whom they deem to be the perfect victim.

Swiftly moving from the grimy streets of London's Piccadilly Circus to the decadence of New Orleans's French Quarter, Poppy Z. Brite dissects the landscape of torture and invites us into the mind of a killer. Exquisite Corpse confirms Brite as a writer who defies categorization. It is a novel for thosee who dare trespass where the sacred and profane become one.

*****
As of yet, I haven't read anything by Brite, this one sounds harsh but good.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2007
This was a great book! Moving, sick, and very gory. Take Leopold and Loeb, Romeo and Juliet, and Hannibal Lector, throw in a healthy dose of heroin, splatter a few bucket's of Carrie's pig's blood, and you have Exquisite Corpse! Her prose if beautiful. There is a blurb on the back of this book from Peter Straub that says "She is the only writer I know who could write a guidebook to hell that would make me want to go there." Very well put. I am anxious to read more of Brite's work now, this was the first of her novels I have read, but will not be the last. What a master of the craft she is, even during the goriest and sickest of scenes, she still made it all seem so beautiful.

This is reserved for my "sick-lit" bud firegirl!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, May 21, 2007
Sent firegirl's way today!

Journal Entry 4 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Saturday, May 26, 2007
Caught this today from my sick-lit bud, Jare, who is spoiling me rotten with all the RABCKs lately!! (Not that I'm complaining, of course.) I recently read Wormwood by Brite and enjoyed it so I'm definitely looking forward to reading this. Since I've recently found some more "sick-lit" readers, I've no doubt I'll be passing this on to another BCer when done. Thanks yet again, Jare!

Journal Entry 5 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Finished this book this morning after a very strange two-day read. Brite definitley holds nothing back in this, the book is extrememly gory and sexual. The story winds through AIDS, homosexuality, murder, torture, drugs, serial killers, and cannabalism. Her characters are fluidly written and (at least a couple of them) very disturbing. Brite's writing is impressive, to say the least. As mentioned above, she can find a glow of beauty and/or sensuality in just about anything, even the most unlikely of scenarios. I'm still rolling this novel around in my head. I enjoyed it, but I think it could have benefited from being a tad longer. There is a lot of background about all the characters but then they scream together toward the ending like runaway trains. While that isn't entirely a bad thing, I think I would have appriciated a more gradual development of the relationship between Arthur and Jay. This absolutely falls in the "sick-lit" category! Not for the faint of heart! Thanks again, Jare.

Journal Entry 6 by wingFiregirlwing at Scottsdale Community College in Scottsdale, Arizona USA on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (10/11/2007 UTC) at Scottsdale Community College in Scottsdale, Arizona USA

Outside the nursing building.