The Children of Cthulhu : Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft

Registered by jare of Hudson, Florida USA on 9/7/2004
Journal Entry 1 by jare from Hudson, Florida USA on Tuesday, September 07, 2004
An impressive collection of stories inspired by the master himself, H.P. Lovecraft! Stories are:

Details by China Mieville
Dark of the Moon by James S. Dorr
Red Clay by Michael Reaves
Principles and Parameters by Meredith L. Patterson
Are you Loathsome Tonight? by Poppy Z. Brite
The Serenade of Starlight by W.H. Pugmire, Esq.
Outside bySteve Rasnic Tem
Nor the Demons Down Under theSea by Caitlin R. Kiernan
A Spectacle of a Man byWestone Ochse
The Firebird Symphony by Brian Hodge
Teeth by Matt Cardin

I love Lovecraft, so these ought to be right up my alley. The highlight would have to be the Richard Laymon story which I haven't seen published anywhere!

Journal Entry 2 by jare at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/23/2009 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Sending to Gorydetails, the winner of my H.P. Lovecraft release challenge (ok, she was the only participant other than myself, but she made some awesome releases, so this is a well deserved prize). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
The books arrived safely today, in their Official BookCrossing Mailing Envelope; many thanks! I adore Lovecraft, and am always glad to find more stories based on his Mythos - especially from contributors of the caliber of some included here. I recognized a couple of titles from other collections, but most of them are new to me... Looks like I have some nicely chilling reading ahead!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 13, 2009
I really enjoyed this collection! Definitely above average for an anthology, lots more hits than misses. Some of them were wonderfully subtle, such as Mieville's "Details" - if I hadn't been looking for Lovecraftian references I wouldn't have noticed them in a line about "the gnarly throat-tipped one" {wry grin}. And some took a bit of a tangent, as in "Visitation" - not a Lovecraftian tale so much as an homage to Poe and a dark look at just why we like to read horror stories.

And then there's Navarro's "Meet Me on the Other Side," which not only approaches the Mythos from an unexpected viewpoint, but very nearly takes the reader along; I bet Clive Barker would love that one.

I liked the Pelan and Adams tale "That's the Story of My Life," not least because I figured out the historical tie-in before the end. And it works so well as a Lovecraftian tale, too...

Poppy Z. Brite's "Are You Loathsome Tonight" is one of the tales I'd read before, but it's always worth a re-visit. And Hodge's "The Firebrand Symphony" wins points for the best new Lovecraftian term: referring to Miskatonic U. students as "Miskateers"!

Funny, creepy, loathsome - what more could one want? Thanks again for this one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/24/2009 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book into Laevina's Fantasy/SF/Horror book box (see the forum post for the mailing order). The box will be on its way to BCer Oldbroad in Washington later today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Oldbroad from Grapeview, Washington USA on Wednesday, October 07, 2009
Taken from the Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror bookbox. Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by Oldbroad at OBCZ at Reed Library in Shelton, Washington USA on Saturday, January 05, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/2/2013 UTC) at OBCZ at Reed Library in Shelton, Washington USA

Released at my local OBCZ for other readers to enjoy.