Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dotdot of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 7/25/2004
Journal Entry 1 by dotdot from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 25, 2004
This was said at the website of BBC: " The story of a young girl, Jess, raised in a repressive Pentecostal home by an overpowering mother. Jess leaves the fire and brimstone of this home life at 16 when she falls in love with a young woman. Oranges are not the Only Fruit is both a funny and tragic examination of love and the fringes of religious fanaticism."

Bough to be released from fleamerket. I read this years ago and loved it.

Edit 03.08.04: I took this book with me to BC-meeting in Helsinki tonight and somebody took it home with her.

Journal Entry 2 by RoryG from Palmdale, California USA on Wednesday, August 04, 2004
Took this home from BC-meeting in Helsinki. Goes into my tbr-pile.

27.06.2005: Just finished the book. I liked it a lot, but somehow the ending left me wanting something more. I don't kow what, though. I did enjoy reading this and I loved the references to the bible especially in the chapter names. They fit perfectly.

Journal Entry 3 by RoryG from Palmdale, California USA on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
Sending this to Rossella05 as a part of Reverse Wish List Relay #? at the bookrelay site.

Sending this on 28.06.2005.

Journal Entry 4 by XIV-590003 on Tuesday, July 12, 2005
Arrived this morning, thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by Fellraven from Redditch, Worcestershire United Kingdom on Friday, August 12, 2005
Received today as a very kind RABCK from Rossella. Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 6 by Fellraven from Redditch, Worcestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 27, 2005
There was much in this novel which I could identify with. No, not the evangelical Christianity, nor the rather understated lesbianism of Jess and her several lovers. It was the vivid descriptions of the mill-towns and valleys of Lancashire which seem very much like the mill-town and its surrounding valley in which I lived for a year or so c1984. The same starchy old and middle-aged women with their obsession with presenting a respectable face to the neighbours and ruling their beleaguered and insignificant husbands with a rod of iron. The same smoke-blackened factories and old textile warehouses. Quite nostalgic, it was, for this reader.

However that's not really what the novel is about. It is about the relationship between mother and adopted daughter and the extent to which an individual should or has the right to decree a destiny for another or to fight against that destiny.

I couldn't help being struck by the essential sterility of Mother's life and life's work. Sterile in the literal sense since she clearly feels it necessary to maintain celibacy within her marriage, but also in the figurative sense too as it seems that she has little or nothing to show for her life's evangelising.

It does at least end on a reasonably positive note: Mother picking herself up from her evangelical disappointments to carry on, and also coming to some sort of uneasy truce with Jess, even if only for Christmas.

Journal Entry 7 by Fellraven at Sainsbury supermarket in Redditch, Worcestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 27, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (8/27/2005 UTC) at Sainsbury supermarket in Redditch, Worcestershire United Kingdom

Left on top of the oranges in the fruit and veg section. I did think of leaving it amongst the bananas but I wondered if that was just too surreal for Redditch.

The book was picked up within seconds by a dark haired bloke with a moustache. If you log in and journal it, enjoy the read mate.