The Confessions of Max Tivoli

by Andrew Sean Greer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lonerunner of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on 7/22/2004
Journal Entry 1 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 22, 2004

Journal Entry 2 by lonerunner from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, March 09, 2007
This book has been on my TBR pile for too long, so it's being sent to SqueakyChu--I hope someone gives it some attention.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, March 14, 2007
I received this book from lonerunner to give away at the 2007 International Day of the Book festival in Kensington, Maryland. Thank you so much!

I'm going to be pushing this book into people's hands. I read it and simply loved this story of a man who was old at birth and grew younger every day. I have no idea how the author did this story so effectively. It's an amazing read.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 15, 2007
This book was released to creativeMGE -- who saw my pile of books to be given away on festival day. She'll be there to help me!

Journal Entry 5 by creativeMGE from Kensington, Maryland USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
I raided the stockpile of books Squeaky has collected from you generous bookcrossers for the festival... I read the first couple of sentences on the front flap and just knew I've got to read this! So it's taking a detour at my house for a little while... look forward to the read!

This was a good read, compelling, poignant. There were parts of Max's narrative that really touched me, and some of the language is beautiful.

Journal Entry 6 by creativeMGE at By post in BookCrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (5/8/2007 UTC) at By post in BookCrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sending this via rabck.com to fulfill someone's wishlist wish. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 28, 2007
I came home today to find this parcel waiting for me. I didn't recognize the address so I was quite interested to see what was going to be in it. I had a rather stressful day too so it was nice to get some mail to brighten things up. Thank you so much for sending this my way!!! Another bookcrosser had mentioned it when she was listening to the audiobook and I thought it sounded interesting so I put it on my wishlist.
Thanks again!

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 19, 2009
Max Tivoli is born in the early 1900s in San Francisco with an unknown condition. Max is born an old man and ages backwards. Based on his rough calculations, be believes he will die in his 70s. He becomes friends with Hughie, who is his age and quickly accepts him for who he is. Their friendship endures for their entire lives as they seem to be the only people that understand each other.

When Max's father disappears, he and his mom have to rent out part of their house. This is when Alice Levy enters Max's life. She is his one true love and he tries to spend the rest of his live making her love him. Alice and Max meet each other three times in their lives. Since Max doesn't like to try and explain his situation, Alice doesn't always know that it's Max, as he ages backwards while she ages like we all do.

This is really a story of friendship and love. I enjoyed Hughie and Max's relationship, but I found that I couldn't quite understand Alice and why she was so afraid of Max.

I've seen the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and even though the story line isn't the same at all, the premise of the main character is the same. Oddly enough, I found that having seen this movie kind of ruined the book for me. I could only picture Brad Pitt aging backwards as Max Tivoli. It was weird.

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, October 09, 2009
This book was mailed off to the UK today to giz-angel.

Journal Entry 10 by Giz-angel from Greenwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 15, 2009
I've not yet seen Benjamin Button so that sounds like a good thing :) I knew I was getting this book but I couldn't remember where from so this was nice to see - thanks!