Spellbound

by Jane Green | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kert01 on 7/20/2004
Journal Entry 1 by kert01 on Tuesday, July 20, 2004
From the back cover:

Alice knows she should be happy.

After all she has a handsome husband, a beautiful house and membership to all the most exclusive clubs in London. So what if the rumours about her husband's skirt chasing are getting harder to ignore?

When Joe's indiscretions force a transfer to New York, Alice hopes it might be a fresh start. And when they find a beuatiful old house in Connecticut Alice is overjoyed. For a while she and Joe seem to be as happy as newlyweds.

But then the late nights and unexplained absences start again. What should Alice do? Stay and fight for him? Or leave with her head held high?

---

Given to me by a friend who is emigrating to Canada for bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 2 by kert01 on Friday, August 20, 2004
Packed up today to go in the post to Bookcrosser Darcenia in Lancashire.

Journal Entry 3 by Robbiesmum from Thirsk, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 12, 2004
Thank you very much, Kert01! This is the only Jane gReen book I haven't read, and I'm really looking forward to curling up and reading this on the dark nights....with a nice glass of Tia Lusso!

Journal Entry 4 by Robbiesmum from Thirsk, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 28, 2005
I really enjoyed this book - a perfect summer book. I haven't read any easy going chick lit for ages, and this reminded me why I enjoyed well written chick lit!
This book has two very interesting protagonists Alice and Joe - Alice was a plain youngster who disappeared into the background and also fancied her brother's mate Joe, a high school hero. When he sees her as a malleable trophy wife, she allows him to control her. But when they move to America, Alice becomes her real self again which Joe doesn't like. This felt a true character as we have all been there trying to fit in, only to discover it isn't really us.

Joe was fascinating - addicted to affairs yet he needed his wife, and in his way loved her. The psychology of his character was well portrayed as the author explained his thoughts of his dilemma, but did not just show it from Alice's point of view. This made the book more interesting for me.

I also enjoyed the change of scene from London to New York and Connecticut and the link with Rachel Dowling. A clever link not overemphasised, but just enough. A great book. Thanks Kert01 - I'll pass this on now.