The Pathfinder

by Margaret Mayhew | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ChinaSourcer of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 9/11/2004
Journal Entry 1 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 11, 2004
Synopsis
BERLIN 1948: - A vanquished city of rubble - sliced into sections by the Allies, and set well back behind the Russian lines. A city of old women, black marketeers and sleazy cabarets in ruined cellars.In the British sector was Squadron Leader Michael Harrison, a war hero who had helped to bomb Berlin into fragments. He hated the Nazis who had killed his sister and her children. But here he was, doing his best to ensure that food and fuel was somehow brought in to save the surviving Berliners.In the Russian sector was young Lili Leicht, German, middle-class daughter of a university professor and now living in the ruins of her former home, trying to prevent her grandfather and two younger brothers from dying of malnutrition. Her mother had been killed by British bombers.As the tensions in the smouldering city grew worse, so Michael and Lili slowly fell in love. It was a love that surmounted all the prejudices and hatreds of war and offered a hope of understanding for the future.

Journal Entry 2 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, September 23, 2004
Offered on the BookRelay and accepted by herebedragons.

Journal Entry 3 by herebedragons from Cotati, California USA on Thursday, September 23, 2004
I accepted this book on BookRelay, and asked ChinaSourcer to release it for me, so she and I can both keep track of it in the hope that it will be caught! :)

Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, September 26, 2004
I took this one to the Nottingham MeetUp yesterday but nobody took a fancy to it so I donated it to a local children's charity shop

Journal Entry 5 by short-rach from Hucknall, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Hope you're not too disappointed Bren that it was me that found it *lol*

Did a charity shop wander round Nottingham today with my two eldest girls and I think I've trained them a little too well in the *find a X'ing book* stakes - I hadn't even got in the door of Banado's when they were screaching "Look Mum, X'ing Books" *grins*

Had to bring this one home, how I missed it at the Meet I don't quite know (maybe too much red mist?) but it looks interesting... Shall wild release it when I've finished it :-D

Journal Entry 6 by short-rach from Hucknall, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 07, 2005
Post WW2 Berlin is the setting for this atmospheric novel - the characters are wonderfully portrayed and Ms Mayhew certainly managed (for me) to capture the era perfectly. Well perfectly enough for me as I'm not nearly old enough to know if she's accurate or not ;-)

Journal Entry 7 by short-rach at on Friday, January 07, 2005
Released on Saturday, January 08, 2005 at about 5:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Showroom bar / cafe in Sheffield, England United Kingdom.

Releasing at the Sheffield Saturday Meetup

Journal Entry 8 by sarax from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 10, 2005
Left over at Sheffield meet - brought to release at Leeds meet....

Journal Entry 9 by DYI-991976 on Wednesday, February 09, 2005
Leftover from the Leeds Meet, I'll take it on to another Meet to try and get another reader later this month.

Journal Entry 10 by DYI-991976 at on Thursday, March 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (3/3/2005 UTC) at

World Book Day Release!

I really hope this finds a new reader, happy WBD if that reader is you. :)