The Lady and the Unicorn

by Tracy Chevalier | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by over-the-moon of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 7/17/2004
Journal Entry 1 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, July 17, 2004
One of my favourite museums in Paris is the Musée du Moyen-Age in the Latin Quarter. On the top floor hang the beautiful tapestries of the Lady and the Unicorn. I enjoyed this version of their story recounted by Chevalier; it is well researched and makes me want to set off for Paris yet again.

Journal Entry 2 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, February 10, 2006
It was nice and sunny on Sunday (a miracle) so I dusted my chairs and sat out on the terrace and read this again from end to end. The story is told from the viewpoint of many differerent characters: Nicolas des Innocents who is commissioned to design tapestries for Jean le Viste, le Viste's wife, their daughter Claude, the weaver in Brussels, and so on. It is all pure fiction, but Chevalier has obviously inspected the tapestries closely and brings out details that I hadn't noticed myself when I saw them. It is a story of seduction, sometimes bawdy, sometimes melancholy.
The picture shows what is left today of the cloister of Saint-Germain-des-Prés, where Geneviève Le Viste used to go. It's just the corner of a bigger photo I took of Picasso's memorial to Apollinaire which stands in the middle of the square, so slightly out of focus.

I'd like to ring this:

Goddess-of-Fire USA
ahythloday USA

....
back to me

Journal Entry 3 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, March 29, 2006
sending it to Paris today

Journal Entry 4 by PMarkaris from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, April 23, 2006
I think I am going to get this one and go read it in the museum one day...or maybe I'll sit in a cafe nearby when it's sunny :). Thanks for the ring Silentmiaouw!

Journal Entry 5 by PMarkaris from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, August 31, 2006
Sorry everyone for the delay, exams and then vacations made me fall behind :). I read the book but I was in no sense driven away by it...I don't know in my opinion it's a "small" story that one forgets after a while.