The Reader

by Bernhard Schlink | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingNetstationwing of Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on 7/8/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, July 08, 2004
Hailed for its coiled eroticism and the moral claims it makes upon the reader, this mesmerizing novel is a story of love and secrets, horror and compassion, unfolding against the haunted landscape of postwar Germany.
When he falls ill on his way home from school, fifteen-year-old Michael Berg is rescued by Hanna, a woman twice his age. In time she becomes his lover--then she inexplicably disappears. When Michael next sees her, he is a young law student, and she is on trial for a hideous crime. As he watches her refuse to defend her innocence, Michael gradually realizes that Hanna may be guarding a secret she considers more shameful than murder.

Journal Entry 2 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, July 19, 2004
Another catch at the Unconvention. I will get through them, I promise!

Journal Entry 3 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, July 28, 2005
OK, it took me over a year but I did get to this and I have now read it. In fact it was a vey quick read once I started. Thought provoking and moving, well worth it.

Released 14 yrs ago (7/28/2005 UTC) at International Departures Waiting Area in Shannon Airport, Co. Clare Ireland

On a bench near the coffee shop.