Mountbatten

by Philip Ziegler | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Mastulela of Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on 7/6/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Mastulela from Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 06, 2004
An excellent biography about Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

Journal Entry 2 by Mastulela from Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 12, 2004
To be released to 1) Netstation
2) Anfield

Journal Entry 3 by Mastulela at on Saturday, July 17, 2004
Released on Saturday, July 17, 2004 at BCUK 2004 Unconvention @ Apres Bar, Summerrow in Birmingham, England Controlled Releases.

Released to Netstation

Journal Entry 4 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 27, 2004
Caught at the Unconvention and, shamefully, put in the car and forgotten. Sorry Mastulela, I'll get on with this one straight away and forward to Anfield as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 5 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, August 14, 2004
What an excellent piece of work this book is! I'm old enough to remember Mountbatten when he was alive, and distinctly remember his assasination at the hands of the IRA in 1979. What I didn't know about was the outpouring of grief that accompanied this act: Not from Heads of State or Royalty as was expected, but from the ordinary people who'd experienced his energy and, sometimes chaotic, leadership. As one of his wartime contemporaries remarked 'Dickie would be the first to get you into all sorts of scrapes, but he'd also do his dammedest to get you out again'

His fearless, some say reckless, leadership during his time in the Second World War ensured that he was never short of crewmen who would volunteer to serve under his captaincy. His long-time friendship with Noel Coward, and the long-time enmity of Lord Beaverbrook simply show that he was a man that was either loved or hated, but impossible to ignore.

Excellently researched and documented, long, at 750 pages, and worth every minute spent reading it.
Off to Anfield next.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNetstationwing from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 19, 2004
Off to Anfield, the BCer not the place!

Journal Entry 7 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Received in the post today from netstation. Thanks! Glad I'm last on the ray as it is a hefty tome!

Journal Entry 8 by Anfield from Bagshot, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, July 29, 2005
I am feeling very guilty as it has taken me a whole year to get to this, but I suppose a year is better than two. It is slow going as it goes into tremendous detail and I am only 1/3 in, will soldier (ha, a pun!) on though, as it is quite absorbing and I will interleave it with fictional works along the way. Wonder should I rabck it to Gerry Adams when I'm done, what with the "historic" announcement and all that. Hmm, maybe not. Frimley Park hospital might be a better bet as it is where Sophie Wessex had her baby (royal connection) and is very close to Sandhurst barracks. But then again, Mountbatten was a Navy man so I may go down to Portsmouth to release it there!