The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain: A Blackie Ryan Storyr (Bishop Blackie Ryan Series)

by Andrew Greeley | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by BlueRibbon of Bothell, Washington USA on 7/5/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BlueRibbon from Bothell, Washington USA on Monday, July 05, 2004
This latest novel starring Fr. Blackie and a locked room mystery is one of Fr. Greeley's best. His respectful, sincere critisms of the Catholic hierarchy is insightful but does not intrude on the story. It weaves in many of the findings that Fr. Greeley made in his sociological study The Catholic Revolution: New Wine, Old Wineskins, and the Second Vatican Council

Journal Entry 2 by Red873 from Burlington, Washington USA on Wednesday, August 18, 2004
Took sometime to get involved in the book. Typical Andrew Greeley. Loved the ending - is Fr. Greeley trying to tell us something? Too bad the Vatican isn't listening.

CAUGHT IN BURLINGTON WA U.S. A.

Journal Entry 3 by andersdotter from Bellingham, Washington USA on Saturday, September 04, 2004
the book actually caught me, delivered as it was to my office mail box by an anonymous book planter. It was a good read in its genre with an interesting plot and not overly obvious solution to the dilemma posed. The only weakness to an over-all good book was the author's note at the end vis a vis Cardinal Cronin: "To protect Cardinal Cronin from investigation by the VAtican, I must note that what he had in mind when he said to Bishop Ryan 'it just goes to show you' was that women would make better priests than men, not that they should be made priests." If I assume irony it is understandable, but as a true note from the real author it is weak and, I submit, sad.