Ecovillage Living: Restoring the Earth and Her People

Registered by martinburo of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 7/4/2004
Journal Entry 1 by martinburo from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, July 04, 2004
This book describes the main three components of Ecovillages: Ecology, Socioeconomics, Culture/Spirituality. It shows how the Global Ecovillage Network provides a better alternative to economic globalization, by focussing on human scale settlements, and how these address current problems of global economic inequality, breakdown of social coherence and environmental destruction by living a positive example. The book gives many examples of successful ecovillages, their diversity and common points, their successes and pitfalls.
The book is very coherent in its presentation of unity through diversity, and very stimulating in its moving away from the protest movements towards a positive action platform, with exchange of solutions, people and
education.
This book staid with my living-apart-community members for a while and then went into PokPok's virtual international non-fiction bookbox.

Journal Entry 2 by tyvmdear from Thompson, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, March 16, 2006
Received yesterday from PokPok's virtual non-fiction bookbox.

I am looking forward to reading this one.

Thanks for offering it.

Journal Entry 3 by tyvmdear from Thompson, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, April 19, 2006
I really enjoy reading this book. Its interesting to see what can be done when you put your mind to it.

Going back into PokPok's non-fiction Virtual Box

Journal Entry 4 by tyvmdear from Thompson, Manitoba Canada on Friday, September 08, 2006
Claimed from the box by Myastone

Journal Entry 5 by MyaStone from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, November 28, 2006
received today from PokPok's nonfiction virtual bookbox. much denser than i thought it would be, but i'm very excited to get started.

Journal Entry 6 by MyaStone from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Saturday, February 17, 2007
In the end I was a bit disappointed with the book. It may because I am reading it as a casual reader, rather than someone starting an ecovillage. The book is divided by aspects of ecovillage living, so I found it hard to get a full sense of any one community itself. I also thought there was a lot of generalizing and not enough cold hard facts how the communities run - and again, when they were present, they were scattered throughout the book, or given 2 scant pages at most.

I will either put this back into the next round of PokPok's bookbox, or release at an appropriate spot. Until then, it is available.

Journal Entry 7 by MyaStone from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Saturday, June 23, 2007
going back into pokpok's virtual nonfiction bookbox

Journal Entry 8 by MyaStone from Stamford, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Chosen from PokPok's VBB by Kernow8 and mailed today.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by Kernow8 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 24, 2007
This arrived today. It looks very interesting! I'm extremely interested in the area of CO2 reduction at the moment. I've just completed a distance-learning course about sustainable energy, and am planning to use the knowledge I've gained from that (and my previous engineering background) to carry out energy assessments of my two daughters' schools and the local church/community centre, with a view to recommending energy conservation measures and/or renewable energy schemes. Who knows, after reading this book I might be persuaded to expand my vision to the whole village!