Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

by Lynne Truss | Reference |
ISBN: 1861976127 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/30/2004
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 30, 2004
I've resisted buying this for soooo long, and I finally gave up and got my own copy. My excuse; well Lynne Truss was in Borders in Cambridge signing copies, which was nice :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2004
Brilliant book from a self-confessed punctuation stickler with vigilante tendencies. So many funny anecdotes about mis-used punctuation (yes I know this sounds dull, but work with me!), and I learned a lot about the history & correct use of commas, apostrophes and other minor characters in the pantheoon of 'Merely Conventional Signs' - i'm sure this was said by Lynne Truss as an understatement? It was interesting that she included a view on 'netspeak', emoticons and the impact of txt & email on literacy & punctuation.

I really did laugh out loud, maybe you won't, it's (apostophe 'it is') possible that I don't get out enough ;-)

An example of 'singular possessive instead of plural possessive'
"Nude Reader's Wives...conjuring up an interesting picture of polygamous nude reader attended by middle-aged women in housecoats and fluffy slippers"

Part of long-running dispute between humorist James Thurber and editor Harold Ross about the correct use of commas. The former was asked why he (Ross) put a comma in the sentence, "After dinner, the men went into the living-room". He replied, "(it was) Ross's way of giving the men time to push back their chairs and stand up" - sublime

Journal Entry 3 by BookGroupMan at on Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Released 15 yrs ago (10/13/2004 UTC) at

A 'lend' to a fellow bookcrosser, cos he asked for it :)

Journal Entry 4 by TimTheMed from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 29, 2004
Thanks to BOOKGROUPMAN for lending me this copy from his private collection. The book was an indicator of the many confusions I have had regarding punctuation. I am now much clearer as to the correct way(s) of punctuating and, in case I forget what I've learned, have bought my own copy!

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, January 08, 2005
...ah ha, Tim's hooked, he's gone and bought his own copy of ES&L! Mine PC copy returned safely, ta :)